Legends Use Big Seventh to Power past Rockers 12-7
HIGH POINT, N.C. - Trailing 7-4 after six innings, the Lexington Legends scored eight times in the seventh inning and went on to post a 12-7 win over the High Point Rockers Thursday night in front of a crowd of 2,050 at Truist Point.
High Point starter Ricky Knapp went 6+ innings and allowed just four hits and four walks while striking out three, leaving the game with a 7-4 lead. He exited with two on in the seventh with Kyle Halbohn coming on in relief. Halbohn gave up three hits and five runs as the Legends scored their eight runs on six hits with the help of three walks. Lexington sent 12 men to the plate in the inning.
High Point scored in each of the first four innings in building a 7-2 lead. But after the fourth inning, the Rockers managed just one hit off five Lexington relievers.
Lexington starter Jeff Thompson walked the first two Rockers he faced in the second, putting Stuart Levy and Giovanny Alfonzo on base. James McOwen then blasted a three-run homer to right to give High Point a 4-2 lead. Nate Peden relieved Thompson to start the third inning and yielded back-to-back solo homers to Jared Mitchell and Stuart Levy as the Rockers extended their lead to 6-2 after three. Randy Norris singled with the bases loaded in the fourth for a 7-2 advantage.
Michael Russell finished the night with three hits and Stephen Cardullo had two singles for the Rockers.
High Point will entertain the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs in a three-game series at Truist Point starting on Friday. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
Michael Russell was in the starting line-up for the first time in six games after missing time with a bruised hand.
RHP Daniel James made his Rockers debut on the mound. The righthander set down Lexington in order in the ninth with a pair of strikeouts.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 17, 2021
- Legends Use Big Seventh to Power past Rockers 12-7 - High Point Rockers
- Southern Maryland Completes Series Sweep of Gastonia - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Late Home Run Lifts Power over Ducks - Long Island Ducks
- Jose Cuas' Contract Purchased by Royals - Long Island Ducks
- West Virginia Power Wants Your Opinion - West Virginia Power
- Revolution Adds to Community Ownership Group - York Revolution
- Allemand Slugs Barnstormers Over York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Eighth Inning Homer Sends Revs to Second Straight Defeat - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.