Late Double Dooms Claws; Suns Win Series Finale 2-1
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Luis Garcia's RBI double in the bottom of the eighth gave Hagerstown the lead and they topped the BlueClaws 3-1 on Thursday night at Municipal Stadium.
BlueClaws starter Kyle Young, pitching into the eighth for the first time in his career, walked Cole Freeman with two outs before Garcia's double for a 2-1 lead. Luis Carrasco came in and allowed an RBI single to Aldrem Corredor to put the Suns up 3-1.
Young (1-3) gave up three runs in a career-long 7.2 innings of work, walking one and striking out four. In the ninth inning, the first two BlueClaws reached off AJ Bogucki, but Rodolfo Duran struck out after fouling off a bunt, and Josh Stephen grounded into a 6-3 double play to end the game.
Andrew Lee (2-0) earned the win, throwing 5.1 innings of scoreless and hitless relief for the Suns (22-36), who took two of three in the series from Lakewood.
The BlueClaws (34-25) have now dropped two straight games.
Jhailyn Ortiz opened the scoring with his third home run of the year in the first inning off Suns starter Seth Romero. Ortiz's long ball, to right-center field, was his 19th professional home run and second since returning from the disabled list on May 21st.
The Suns tied up the game in the second on an Alex Flores SAC fly.
Hagerstown starter Seth Romero, making his season debut, gave up one run in 2.2 innings of work. Andrew Lee came in and did not allow a base-runner into the eighth.
Meanwhile, Lakewood starter Kyle Young settled in, at one point retiring 14 straight Suns as the game remained level at one heading into the eighth inning.
The BlueClaws head to Greensboro and open a series on Friday night before returning to FirstEnergy Park on Monday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 7, 2018
- Late Offensive Rally Comes up Short - Asheville Tourists
- Wallace's Marvelous Outing Guides Power to 5-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Come up Short in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Cavallaro Records Nine Strikeouts in Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Flex Bats to Stave off Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Top GreenJackets to Clinch Series Victory - Greenville Drive
- Santos Drives in 3 in Loss to Shorebirds - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Bullpen Powers RiverDogs to Series Sweep over Columbia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Romero, Lee, Bogucki Combine for 15 K's in 3-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to West Virginia Power - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Flirt with No-No, Win on Walkoff - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Double Dooms Claws; Suns Win Series Finale 2-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 7 vs. Charleston (Game 57) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 7) - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Celebrate Judge, the Beautiful Game as Part of Weeklong Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- All-Stars Lillie, Alonso Lead Hoppers to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington