Fireflies Game Notes: June 7 vs. Charleston (Game 57)
Columbia Fireflies (28-28) vs. Charleston RiverDogs (28-29)
RHP Joe Cavallaro (6-1, 2.22) vs. RHP Jio Orozco (0-1, 5.14)
Thurs., June 7, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 57
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: The Fireflies rallied valiantly in the late innings on Wednesday, but fell to the RiverDogs, 6-5. Trailing 6-2 at the time, Columbia scored twice in the seventh and once more in the eighth before ultimately falling one run short. Starter Tony Dibrell was solid: he struck out seven over six innings of work.
STREAKIN': Outfielder Raphael Gladu extended his franchise-record hit streak to 20 straight games on Wednesday. Gladu's 20-game streak is the longest in all of low-A baseball in 2018 and one of the longest active streaks in professional baseball. Gladu is hitting .370 (27-for-73) during the hit streak.
Longest Active Hitting Streaks in MiLB & MLB:
1. Randy Cesar (Corpus Christi Hooks - HOU, AA) - 28
2. Mauricio Dubon (Colorado Springs Sky Sox - MIL, AAA) - 23
3. Daniel Castro (Albuquerque Isotopes - COL, AAA) - 23
4. Raphael Gladu (COLUMBIA) - 20
5. Jordan Devencenzi (Beloit Snappers - OAK, A) - 19
Gladu is also on a 25-game on-base streak.
GOING YARD: Columbia blasted three homers (Ali Sanchez, Scott Manea, Quinn Brodey) on Wednesday for the second time this season. The Fireflies previously drilled three in a game on Sunday, May 6 vs. Lakewood (Jeremy Vasquez, Edgardo Fermin, Quinn Brodey).
GOING YARD, Pt. II: Two of those long balls on Wednesday were drilled in the same inning (Sanchez, Manea - 4th). That's the third multi-homer inning for Columbia in 2018:
May 5: 8th inning - Gio Alfonzo, Quinn Brodey
May 6: 6th inning - Edgardo Fermin, Quinn Brodey
Wed.: 4th inning - Ali Sanchez, Scott Manea
CLOSE CALLS: Nine of the 13 games Columbia and Charleston have played in this season have been decided by one run. All 13 games have been decided by a total of just 21 runs.
SUPERB VISON: Columbia is one of two teams in MiLB with three players leading their respective league in total walks, the other being the Fresno Grizzlies (HOU):
South Atlantic League (Low A) Pacific Coast League (AAA)
1. Blake Tiberi (COL) - 34 1. Drew Ferguson (Fresno), 39
2. Matt Winaker (COL) - 32 T-2. A.J. Reed (Fresno), 37
3. Jeremy Vasquez (COL) - 32 T-2. Tyler White (Fresno), 37
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 7, 2018
- Late Offensive Rally Comes up Short - Asheville Tourists
- Wallace's Marvelous Outing Guides Power to 5-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Come up Short in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Cavallaro Records Nine Strikeouts in Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Flex Bats to Stave off Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Top GreenJackets to Clinch Series Victory - Greenville Drive
- Santos Drives in 3 in Loss to Shorebirds - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Bullpen Powers RiverDogs to Series Sweep over Columbia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Romero, Lee, Bogucki Combine for 15 K's in 3-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to West Virginia Power - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Flirt with No-No, Win on Walkoff - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Double Dooms Claws; Suns Win Series Finale 2-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 7 vs. Charleston (Game 57) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 7) - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Celebrate Judge, the Beautiful Game as Part of Weeklong Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- All-Stars Lillie, Alonso Lead Hoppers to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of Friend to Go Trick-Or-Treating With
- 2018 Fireflies Season Recap
- College of Charleston to Host Clemson at Spirit Communications Park on March 20, 2019
- Minor League Baseball's "Copa De La Diversion" Hispanic Fan Engagement Initiative Expands to 72 Teams for 2019
- Pints at the Park 2.0 Returns to Spirit Communications Park on Friday, October 19