Fireflies Game Notes: June 7 vs. Charleston (Game 57)
Columbia Fireflies (28-28) vs. Charleston RiverDogs (28-29)
RHP Joe Cavallaro (6-1, 2.22) vs. RHP Jio Orozco (0-1, 5.14)
Thurs., June 7, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 57
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: The Fireflies rallied valiantly in the late innings on Wednesday, but fell to the RiverDogs, 6-5. Trailing 6-2 at the time, Columbia scored twice in the seventh and once more in the eighth before ultimately falling one run short. Starter Tony Dibrell was solid: he struck out seven over six innings of work.
STREAKIN': Outfielder Raphael Gladu extended his franchise-record hit streak to 20 straight games on Wednesday. Gladu's 20-game streak is the longest in all of low-A baseball in 2018 and one of the longest active streaks in professional baseball. Gladu is hitting .370 (27-for-73) during the hit streak.
Longest Active Hitting Streaks in MiLB & MLB:
1. Randy Cesar (Corpus Christi Hooks - HOU, AA) - 28
2. Mauricio Dubon (Colorado Springs Sky Sox - MIL, AAA) - 23
3. Daniel Castro (Albuquerque Isotopes - COL, AAA) - 23
4. Raphael Gladu (COLUMBIA) - 20
5. Jordan Devencenzi (Beloit Snappers - OAK, A) - 19
Gladu is also on a 25-game on-base streak.
GOING YARD: Columbia blasted three homers (Ali Sanchez, Scott Manea, Quinn Brodey) on Wednesday for the second time this season. The Fireflies previously drilled three in a game on Sunday, May 6 vs. Lakewood (Jeremy Vasquez, Edgardo Fermin, Quinn Brodey).
GOING YARD, Pt. II: Two of those long balls on Wednesday were drilled in the same inning (Sanchez, Manea - 4th). That's the third multi-homer inning for Columbia in 2018:
May 5: 8th inning - Gio Alfonzo, Quinn Brodey
May 6: 6th inning - Edgardo Fermin, Quinn Brodey
Wed.: 4th inning - Ali Sanchez, Scott Manea
CLOSE CALLS: Nine of the 13 games Columbia and Charleston have played in this season have been decided by one run. All 13 games have been decided by a total of just 21 runs.
SUPERB VISON: Columbia is one of two teams in MiLB with three players leading their respective league in total walks, the other being the Fresno Grizzlies (HOU):
South Atlantic League (Low A) Pacific Coast League (AAA)
1. Blake Tiberi (COL) - 34 1. Drew Ferguson (Fresno), 39
2. Matt Winaker (COL) - 32 T-2. A.J. Reed (Fresno), 37
3. Jeremy Vasquez (COL) - 32 T-2. Tyler White (Fresno), 37
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 7, 2018
- Late Offensive Rally Comes up Short - Asheville Tourists
- Wallace's Marvelous Outing Guides Power to 5-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Come up Short in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Cavallaro Records Nine Strikeouts in Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Flex Bats to Stave off Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Top GreenJackets to Clinch Series Victory - Greenville Drive
- Santos Drives in 3 in Loss to Shorebirds - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Bullpen Powers RiverDogs to Series Sweep over Columbia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Romero, Lee, Bogucki Combine for 15 K's in 3-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Legends Drop Series to West Virginia Power - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Flirt with No-No, Win on Walkoff - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Double Dooms Claws; Suns Win Series Finale 2-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 7 vs. Charleston (Game 57) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 7) - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Celebrate Judge, the Beautiful Game as Part of Weeklong Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- All-Stars Lillie, Alonso Lead Hoppers to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.