Laredo Bucks Kings From Conference Lead
Laredo, TX - The Laredo Bucks scored five unanswered goals to defeat the Lubbock Cotton Kings 5-1 Wednesday night at the Laredo Entertainment Center in a battle of Southern Conference division leaders. Lubbock's record drops to 8-4-1 with the loss.
Lubbock converted on their first power play opportunity to open the contest's scoring. Stacey Bauman received a pass while streaking to the low point and flung a shot past Laredo goaltender Nathan Marsters 9:02 into the game for his fifth goal of the season (leads Kings defensemen) and his third power play marker on the season.
The Cotton Kings controlled the tempo during the second period and had some great scoring chances, but Marsters held the Kings off the board in the frame, while the Bucks cashed in on their opportunities in the period. Igor Aguronov tied the contest at 1-1 2:27 into the period by sending his own rebound past the left side of Kings goaltender Kyle Stanton. The Bucks grabbed their first lead of the game with 1:42 remaining with a shorthanded goal by Jeff Bes, who like Agurunov, scored a goal by converting on his own rebound opportunity.
Laredo never looked back from there, scoring a trio of third period goals. Chris Korchinski was able to poke the puck away from Craig Minard and receive it back from Bobby Chaumont to fire it through the five-hole of Stanton 1:52 into the third for a 3-1 lead. Agarunov added his second of the night 5:54 later with a shot from the left circle. Leo Thomas closed the scoring with a goal as 5:04 remained for the 5-1 lead.
Lubbock out-shot the Bucks 33-32 in the loss, and Kyle Stanton suffered the loss in net by allowing five goals to have his record drop to 6-2-1 on the year. Marsters stopped 32 of 33 for the win to improve to 5-2-0. Lubbock was 1 for 8 on the power play while Laredo was 0 for 5.
The Cotton Kings closed out their three-game road trip with a 1-1-0 record and now return home to host the Amarillo Gorillas Saturday in a I-27 battle at the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 22, 2006
- Sundogs Skate Past Ice Bats 4-2 - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles Beat Oilers 4-1, Win Seventh Straight Home Game - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Lose, 2-0 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Mudbugs fall 3-0 to Killer Bees - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gorillas Earn First Shutout Of Season Blanking Rage 2-0 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Pick Cotton Kings 5-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Hounds squeak past Rayz 4-3 in shootout - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Laredo Bucks Kings From Conference Lead - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- SteelHounds Win in Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Gabriel Soto and $6k diamond - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Weekly News and Notes - Mississippi RiverKings
- Hounds Bike Night and Teddy Bear Toss Scheduled for Friday - Youngstown SteelHounds
- "Mac" bobbleheads and maccaroni madness to highlight RiverKings weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado Eagles Ranked # 1 in CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Cotton Kings Weekly Notes - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- SteelHounds vs. Corpus Christi game preview - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Ice Bats on Road for Thanksgiving - Austin Ice Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.