Lakeland Magic Stung by Greensboro Swarm
The Lakeland Magic (18-18), the NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, lost to the Greensboro Swarm (13-24), 98-88 in front of a home crowd at the RP Funding Center. Tip-off was at 11 a.m. for the team's inaugural School Day Game.
Fresh off the week long All-Star break, the Lakeland Magic started off slow in the first quarter shooting 28.6 percent (6-21 FG) from the field and 18.2 percent from the three (2-11) compared to the Swarm's 45.0 percent (9-20) and 50.0 percent (5-10) respectively giving the Swarm a 10-point lead at the end of one.
The Magic had a much stronger second quarter but were still outscored 25-23 and trailed 51-39 heading into the locker room. The Magic got a boost out in the second half outscoring the Swarm 24-22 in the third and 25-25 in the fourth but were ultimately not able to make up for the slow start.
Jamel Artis led the team in scoring with 27 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. Troy Caupain came up just short of the double-double with 12 points and 9 rebounds. Antonio Campbell played a key role scoring 14 points off the bench in roughly 26 minutes of play.
Marcus Paige showed up strong for the Swarm posting 30 points and 7 assists. Both Mangok Mathiang and Sam Thompson had an impressive day both with double-doubles. Mathiang, with 21 points and 11 rebounds and Thompson with 14 points, 10 rebounds.
The Magic play their next game at home against the Maine Red Claws on Friday, February 23, at 7 p.m. and celebrate Tracy McGrady Night by honoring the former Orlando Magic great who will be in attendance that night. The game can be seen on Twitch. The Greensboro Swarm take on the Grand Rapids Drive on Friday, February 23, at 7:00 p.m.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 21, 2018
- Wisconsin Herd Falters in Second Half against Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Wisconsin Herd
- Goodwin Seals Deal with Game-Winning Free Throw over Hustle - Northern Arizona Suns
- Charge Top Blue - Canton Charge
- Westchester Knicks Continue to Lead the Pack with Win over Iowa - Westchester Knicks
- 905 Ground BayHawks - Raptors 905
- Shooting Woes Sink Wolves in Westchester - Iowa Wolves
- Nets Cut Down Yabusele, Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Teddy Bear Toss Night Saturday, March 3 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Cavaliers Assign Ante Zizic to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- New Orleans Pelicans Sign Walt Lemon Jr. - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Guard Jabari Brown - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Reno Bighorns - Erie BayHawks
- Long Island Nets Acquire Charlie Marquardt - Long Island Nets
- Lakeland Magic Stung by Greensboro Swarm - Lakeland Magic
- Arcidiacono's Triple-Double Lifts Windy City past Delaware for Fourth Straight Win - Windy City Bulls
- Legends Announce Roster Moves - Texas Legends
- Phoenix Suns Call up Shaquille Harrison from NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Indiana Pacers Sign Trey McKinney Jones - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Josh Magette and Andrew White III from Erie to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- USA Basketball: USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Finalized - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.