LAFC Hosts San Jose Earthquakes in U.S. Open Cup on Thursday, June 20
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) will host the San Jose Earthquakes in the Round of 16 of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup tomorrow, Thursday, June 20 at Banc of California Stadium. The match, which will be streamed live on ESPN+ and on the ESPN radio app, is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT.
All tickets are General Admission, with North End Supporters Section on sale for $10 and the East Side of the Stadium available to LAFC Season Members for $30 and to the general public for $40 here.
In its 106th year, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, U.S. Soccer's National Championship, is the only high-profile competition in American team sports where amateur sides have the opportunity to face professionals in meaningful competition. The tournament is conducted on a single-game, knockout basis and open to all professional and amateur teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer and has crowned a champion annually since 1914. In 1999, the competition was renamed to honor United States soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt.
The Black & Gold advanced past the Fourth Round of the tournament following a 3-0 victory over Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on June 11. MLS MVP candidate Carlos Vela started the scoring for LAFC in the 8th minute off a beautiful pass from Eduard Atuesta. Midfielder Lee Nguyen and forward Adama Diomande added second half goals to help LAFC to its fourth Open Cup win in Club history.
Meanwhile, the Earthquakes defeated USL Championship side Sacramento Republic FC 4-3 on June 11 at Avaya Stadium to advance to the Round of 16. This matchup will mark the second meeting of the year between LAFC and San Jose. On March 30, the Black & Gold earned a 5-0 victory over the Quakes at Avaya Stadium behind Vela's first-ever hat-trick in MLS.
The winner of tomorrow's contest will then host the Quarterfinals match against the winner of the Portland Timbers and LA Galaxy.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 19, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Ousted from Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup by Saint Louis FC - FC Cincinnati
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 1 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City Advance to U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal with 2-1 Win over New England Revolution - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC, 2-1, After Extra Time in 2019 U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Fall to New York City FC 2-1 at Audi Field in the 2019 U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- LAFC Hosts San Jose Earthquakes in U.S. Open Cup on Thursday, June 20 - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes Academy Midfielder Sophie Jones Named Gatorade National Girls Soccer Player of the Year - San Jose Earthquakes
- By the Numbers: Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Seattle Sounders FC's Danny Leyva Continues MLS Youth Trend: Week 16 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Midfielder Mo Adams Obtains U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Falls 3-2 against the Galaxy on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park
- Los Angeles Football Club Partners with Satisfi Labs to Launch In-Stadium Order-Ahead on Apple Business Chat
- LAFC and Galaxy Face off on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park
- LAFC Defeats Houston Dynamo 3-1 on Friday Evening
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup