By the Numbers: Open Cup Round of 16
8 - Opening round wins
Orlando City got off to a promising start in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup last week, defeating Memphis 901 FC 3-1 in Tennessee. Going back to their time in USL, Orlando City have won their opening round game in 8 out of 9 U.S. Open Cups. The Lions have never lost an away game to start an Open Cup.
4 - PK attempts
Orlando City have had a penalty kick attempt in each of their last four games, marking the longest streak in club history. Nani took the first three, officially converting just one, though he slotted home a rebound against Cincinnati. Sacha Kljestan scored against Memphis in Nani's absence. The Lions' previous high was three games in a row from May 17-30, 2015.
5 - International absent
Orlando City are well-represented at this summer's international tournaments. Five Lions are participating in the CONCACAF Gold Cup- Canada's Will Johnson and Kamal Miller, Honduras' Danilo Acosta, and Trinidad & Tobago's Greg Ranjitsingh. Orlando also have star midfielder Sebas Mendez at Copa America for Ecuador. None of these players will be available for the Open Cup clash against New England.
1-1 - Against Bruce Arena
Orlando City have faced Bruce Arena twice in their history, once in each of his last two years with the Los Angeles Galaxy. The Lions gave Arena a particularly rude welcome to Orlando in 2015, destroying the Galaxy 4-0 behind goals from Eric Avila, Cyle Larin, Kaka, and Darwin Ceren. Orlando would fall to Arena's Galaxy in Los Angeles in 2016.
1-0 - Arena at Exploria
Interestingly, Arena has coached at Exploria Stadium once before, but not in MLS. He led the USMNT into its penultimate 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Panama in Orlando in October 2017. The Americans ran away with a comfortable 4-0 victory in front of a raucous Orlando crowd in what would ultimately be Arena's final USMNT win- the team failed to qualify after losing in shocking fashion against Trinidad & Tobago four days later.
5 - Dollar Beers
FIVE DOLLAR BEERS!
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 19, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Ousted from Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup by Saint Louis FC - FC Cincinnati
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 1 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Orlando City Advance to U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal with 2-1 Win over New England Revolution - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC, 2-1, After Extra Time in 2019 U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Fall to New York City FC 2-1 at Audi Field in the 2019 U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- LAFC Hosts San Jose Earthquakes in U.S. Open Cup on Thursday, June 20 - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes Academy Midfielder Sophie Jones Named Gatorade National Girls Soccer Player of the Year - San Jose Earthquakes
- By the Numbers: Open Cup Round of 16 - Orlando City SC
- Seattle Sounders FC's Danny Leyva Continues MLS Youth Trend: Week 16 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Midfielder Mo Adams Obtains U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- By the Numbers: the Conference Semifinals
- Orlando City Hosts New England Revolution in Eastern Conference Semifinals
- Know Your Opponent: New England Revolution
- Playoff Update: the Conference Semifinals
- Orlando City SC Eastern Conference Semifinal Matchup vs. New England Officially Sold Out