LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) won their league-best eighth road game of the season as the Club defeated Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium. With the victory, the Black & Gold become the first MLS team to clinch a berth in the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Forward Carlos Vela scored his 24th goal of the season, setting a new MLS record for most combined goals and assists in a single season (39; 24 goals and 15 assists). Vela surpassed Sebastian Giovinco's 2015 record with Toronto FC (38; 22 goals, 16 assists). LAFC forward Adama Diomande added a second goal for the Black & Gold in the 82nd minute with midfielder Lee Nguyen logging the assist.
Both teams played with a man down, with LAFC losing defender Walker Zimmerman in the 48th minute after being shown his second yellow card for a foul on RSL's Everton Luiz. He received his first yellow for delaying a restart in the first half. Not long after Zimmerman's exit, Vela was fouled by Aaron Herrera in the box, sending the defender off with a straight red card.
LAFC remains in first place in the Supporters' Shield standings with a 18-3-4 record (58 points). Next up for the Black & Gold is a home contest against the San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday, August 21. The matchup is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT at Banc of California Stadium and will be broadcast on UniMás KFTR 46, ESPN 710 AM, KFWB 980.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24 - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to Vancouver at BC Place, 1-0 - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC & Galaxy to Host L.A. Charity FIFA Challenge on Sunday, March 29
- LAFC Statement on MLS Season Suspension and 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Match
- The Rivalry Grows: MLS All-Star Skills Challenge to Feature MLS vs. Liga Mx
- LAFC and Philadelphia Union Draw 3-3 on Sunday Night
- LAFC Takes on Philadelphia Union on Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium