Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy
Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris at LA Galaxy
(Seattle Sounders FC, Credit: Mike Fiechtner / Sounders FC)
CARSON, CALIF. - In its third game in an eight-day span, Sounders FC (11-9-7, 40 points) on Saturday earned a 2-2 road draw at Western Conference foe LA Galaxy (14-11-2, 44 points). Raúl Ruidíaz scored his team-leading ninth goal of the season, while a late own goal secured the equalizer and a road point for the Rave Green, despite a brace from Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Sounders FC continues its three-match road stretch on Friday, August 23 with a Cascadia Cup matchup at the Portland Timbers at Providence Park (7:00 p.m. PT / ESPN, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
Ruidíaz gave Seattle a 1-0 advantage in the 42nd minute with his ninth goal of the season. Jordan Morris made a run down the near sideline and left a ball in the area for Harry Shipp, who found Ruidíaz. The Peruvian international took one touch with his right foot and buried a shot to the far-right corner of the goal. The marker was his first since July 21, and his first in a road match since June 1.
Ibrahomovic scored the first of his pair of goals just before halftime, heading in a cross from Sebastian Lletget in the 45th minute. He gave the Galaxy a 2-1 lead in the 65th minute via penalty kick, after drawing a foul on Kim Kee-hee inside the area. His ensuing kick went low and to the left, beating Stefan Frei and giving Ibrahimovic 20 goals on the season.
The Rave Green saw its equalizer come in the 82nd minute, as a mis-hap between LA goalkeeper David Bingham and defender Jørgen Skjelvik resulted in a Galaxy own goal, evening the score at 2-2.
LA Galaxy was reduced to 10 men just six minutes into the match when Daniel Steres was shown a red card for denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.
Following Saturday's match, Brian Schmetzer's side travels to take on Cascadia rival Portland Timbers on Friday, August 23 (7:00 p.m. PT / ESPN, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
With tonight's result, Sounders FC sits tied for fifth place in the Western Conference with 40 points (11-8-7), 18 points behind Supporters' Shield-leading LAFC. The club is now two points ahead of sixth-place San Jose Earthquakes.
Ruidíaz scored his team-leading ninth goal of the season. The marker was his first since July 21, and his first in a road match since June 1.
Shipp recorded his third assist of the season, matching his highest single-season total since the 2015 campaign with Chicago.
Gustav Svensson made his return to the Starting XI for the first time since July 21 vs. Portland.
Seattle Sounders FC 2 - LA Galaxy 2
Saturday, August 17, 2019
Venue: Dignity Health Sports Park
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistants: Kyle Atkins, Jason White
Fourth Official: Mark Allatin
VAR: Kevin Stott
Weather: 75 degrees and sunny
SEA - Raul Ruidíaz (Harry Shipp) 42'
LAG - Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sebastian Lletget) 45'
LAG - Zlatan Ibrahimovic (penalty) 65'
SEA - Jorgen Skjelvik (own goal) 82'
LAG - Daniel Steres (ejection) 6'
SEA - Jordan Morris (caution) 21'
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Kelvin Leerdam, Kim Kee-hee, Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou (Joevin Jones 69'); Cristian Roldan, Gustav Svensson (Luis Silva 74'), Harry Shipp (Handwalla Bwana 66'), Nicolás Lodeiro, Jordan Morris; Raul Ruidíaz
Substitutes not used: Bryan Meredith, Saad Abdul-Salaam, Danny Leyva, Jordy Delem
Total shots: 21 (Ruidíaz, 5)
Shots on goal: 6 (Ruidíaz, 2)
Fouls: 8 (C. Roldan, 2)
Offside: 5 (Morris, 2)
Corner-kicks: 11 (Lodeiro, 11)
Saves: 2 (Frei, 2)
LA Galaxy - David Bingham; Rolf Feltscher, Daniel Steres, Diego Polenta, Jorgen Skjelvik; Sebastian Lletget, Jonathan dos Santos, Uriel Antuna (Julian Araujo 85'), Favio Alvarez (Giancarlo Gonzalez 33'), Cristian Pavon (Joe Corona 90'); Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Substitutes not used: Matt Lampson, Dave Romney, Servando Carrasco, Efrain Alvarez
Total shots: 8 (Ibrahimovic, 4)
Shots on goal: 4 (Ibrahimovic, 2)
Fouls: 9 (dos Santos, 3)
Offside: 2 (Feltscher/Corona, 1)
Corner-kicks: 3 (dos Santos, 3)
Saves: 5 (Bingham, 5)
Images from this story
Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris at LA Galaxy
(Mike Fiechtner / Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24 - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to Vancouver at BC Place, 1-0 - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Unite with Symetra Life Insurance Company to Renovate Public Multi-Purpose Recreation Space for Youth
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Shandon Hopeau as Homegrown Player
- In the Final Edition of Sounders FC Classics, Enjoy Seattle's 2019 Seven-Goal Thriller against the LA Galaxy, Presented by Fred Meyer
- Relive the Game That Ushered in a Championship Season on this Week's "Sounders FC Classics" Broadcast, Presented by Premera Blue Cross
- Harry Shipp Announces Retirement from Professional Soccer