Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United
VANCOUVER, BC - Yordy Reyna scored the only goal of a tight game as Vancouver Whitecaps FC picked up all three points in a 1-0 victory against D.C. United at BC Place on Saturday evening.
Vancouver head coach Marc Dos Santos kept faith with the same starting line-up and formation that played in the 'Caps last game in Portland, as the team returned home to BC Place for the first time in nearly a month.
In a closely fought contest, Vancouver scored the game-winning goal midway through the first half, thanks to smart combination play from Russell Teibert and Yordy Reyna. Teibert drove powerfully through two D.C. players before laying off to Reyna, who curled his shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box.
It was the Peruvian's fifth goal of the season and capped off a Man of the Match performance from the forward, who was a threat throughout the night.
Whitecaps FC battled hard in the first half with Ali Adnan nearly adding a second goal, cutting in from the left and swinging a curling effort just wide of the far post. Maxime Crépeau continued to impress, making a series of strong saves to keep D.C. at bay as the 'Caps took a 1-0 lead into the break.
The 'Caps then lost Jake Nerwinski to an ankle sprain early in the second half but could have gone further ahead as Reyna hit the woodwork and Derek Cornelius' header was acrobatically saved by D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
D.C. United, captained by England's all-time record goalscorer Wayne Rooney and featuring former 'Caps midfielder Felipe Martins, threatened near the end but the 'Caps defence held firm to record a fifth clean sheet of the season.
Canadian international Tosaint Ricketts also made his Whitecaps FC debut, coming off the bench in place of Fredy Montero, and provided pace and energy up front in the closing minutes. The addition of Ricketts marked the first time the 'Caps have had six Canadians on the pitch in MLS play.
Whitecaps FC now turn their focus on the road when they visit San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium on Saturday, August 24. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. PT live on TSN4 and 1410 AM. They are back home on Saturday, August 31 to host New York City FC at BC Place. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
CORNERS FOR HEARING: Whitecaps FC had seven corners in tonight's match, which means Connect Hearing will donate $700 to Hear the World Foundation.
WFC Man of the Match: Yordy Reyna
Referee: Tim Ford
18' - VAN - Yordy Reyna (Russell Teibert)
Possession: VAN 35.6% - DC 64.4%
Shots: VAN 8 - DC 24
Shots on Goal: VAN 2 - DC 2
Saves: VAN 2 - DC 1
Fouls: VAN 17 - DC 8
Offsides: VAN 1 - DC 2
Corners: VAN 7 - DC 11
14' - DC - Lucas Rodriguez
53' - VAN - Russell Teibert
69' - VAN - Andy Rose
90'+6' - VAN - Maxime Crépeau
90'+7' - VAN - Inbeom Hwang
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski (2.Doneil Henry 50'), 22.Érik Godoy, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan; 15.Andy Rose, 4.Inbeom Hwang, 31.Russell Teibert; 50.Theo Bair, 12.Fredy Montero © (87.Tosaint Ricketts 79'); 29.Yordy Reyna (23.Scott Sutter 90')
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 6.Jon Erice, 9.Joaquin Ardaiz, 94.Victor "PC" Giro
24.Bill Hamid; 29.Leonardo Jara (17.Emmanuel Boateng 67'), 13.Frederic Brillant, 15.Steven Birnbaum, 28.Joseph Mora; 11.Lucas Rodriguez, 5.Junior Moreno, 18.Felipe Martins, 8.Ulises Segura (10.Luciano Acosta 58'); 9.Wayne Rooney © (14.Ola Kamara 74'), 7.Paul Arriola
Substitutes not used
1.Chris Seitz, 20.Jalen Robinson, 23.Donovan Pines, 25.Quincy Amarikwa
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24 - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to Vancouver at BC Place, 1-0 - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot
- 'Caps vault above playoff line with second straight win