Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will continue its push for the playoffs when they travel to face the New England Revolution on Saturday, Aug. 24 at Gillette Stadium. Set to begin at 6:30 p.m. CT, the match will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and transmitted locally in Spanish on Univision Radio 93.5 Latino Mix. The ESPN+ pregame show, presented by CIBC, will begin at 6:15 p.m. CT.
Entering Saturday's match, the Fire are unbeaten in four of their last five games (3-1-1), earning 10 points to move within one point of a playoff position. Most recently, the Men in Red tallied its seventh home win of the season on August 17 defeating the Eastern Conference's top-ranked Philadelphia Union 2-0 at SeatGeek Stadium. Forward Nemanja Nikoli? provided both goals for the Fire, tallying his 49th and 50th regular season goals with the Club. With the brace, Nikoli? surpassed Chris Rolfe to rank second all-time in Club history for goals scored, behind only Ante Razov.
Saturday's matchup against the Revolution will mark the 63rd meeting between the two teams since 1998. The Fire currently lead the head-to-head regular season series with a 28-21-13 record. Heading into the match, the Men in Red are unbeaten in its last seven games against the Revolution, dating back to a 2-1 home win on Oct. 16, 2016. Earlier this season, the Fire defeated the Revolution 5-0 at SeatGeek Stadium on May 8, recording its largest margin of victory in 2019. Nikoli? led all Fire players with a brace in the match, while midfielders Brandt Bronico, Przemys?aw Frankowski and Nicolás Gaitán each contributed a goal.
New England (9-9-8, 35 points) currently sits in sixth place in the Eastern Conference standings, most recently drawing the New York Red Bulls 1-1 at Red Bull Arena on Aug. 17. After going on a seven-game unbeaten run from June 26 - July 27, the Revolution are winless in their last three league games. Midfielder Carles Gil leads the team in goals scored (nine) and assists (11).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24 - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to Vancouver at BC Place, 1-0 - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.