Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (12-9-4, 40 points, 4 West) fell to league-leading Los Angeles FC 2-0 at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday.
RSL went up a man in the 48th minute, but the advantage was negated when DF Aaron Herrera saw a red card later in the second half. GK Nick Rimando made a massive four saves to help limit the damage done while the RSL frontline took nine shots in search of a goal to cut the deficit.
Postgame quotes from RSL v LAFC.
In a fast-paced and physical first half, both sides were left wanting as they fought to find an advantage that ended just out of reach. Rimando made back-to-back saves after stopping a shot from LAFC striker Adama Diomande and then saving an unfortunate mistouched clearance from DF Nedum Onuoha in the 16th minute. Diomande nearly found the opening goal just moments later after beating the RSL backline and Rimando for a shot that rebounded off the post. RSL got an opportunity of its own through FW Jefferson Savarino near the end of the first half as he fired a shot that LAFC GK Tyler Miller was able to put a stop to, leaving both sides level without a goal at the half-time break.
After the opening whistle, both sides were shown red as Walker Zimmerman picked his second caution after a hard tackle while Herrera was the last defender while pulling down Carlos Vela in the penalty area. Vela buried the resulting penalty to give the visitors the 1-0 lead. RSL lit up following the go-ahead goal, knocking on the door of the LAFC goal with chances through MF Albert Rusnák and FWs Sebastián Saucedo, Corey Baird, and Sam Johnson but in the end, it was LAFC that struck again through Diomande for the insurance goal to pick up the win for LAFC at Rio Tinto Stadium.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake stays at home as it welcomes Rocky Mountain Cup rival Colorado Rapids to Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, August 24. Kickoff from Sandy is set for 8:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
LAFC: Carlos Vela (Penalty), 64th minute: After Aaron Herrera brought Vela down with a poor tackle in the penalty area, LAFC was rewarded the kick from the spot. Vela took the opportunity to bury the chance and give the visitors the lead.
LAFC: Adame Diomande (Lee Nguyen), 82nd minute: LAFC scored a late second goal as Nguyen found Diomande open on the left side of the net. Diomande took a second touch to the ball before firing his shot just past Rimando for the insurance goal.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
RSL: Nick Rimando, 16th minute: Rimando was able to get back-to-back saves as LAFC forward Adama Diomande was able to redirect a shot in goal to which Rimando was able to get a hand to for a deflection. As DF Nedum Onuoha went to get the clearance, the ball took a misfortunate touch back towards goal that Rimando again deflected to save the scoring.
RSL: Nedum Onuoha, 77th minute: Diomande was on another attacking run looking to get in around the backline, but Onuoha tracked his run perfectly and cut out the angle to prevent Diomande from getting a shot in on target, forcing the ball just wide of the near post for a goal kick.
- DF Tony Beltran (knee) and MF Nick Besler (Foot) were out of action due to injury.
- Real Salt Lake saw its eight home-game unbeaten streak come to an end as Los Angeles FC extended its all-time series lead to 4-0-0 over RSL.
- DF Aaron Herrera will be out of action in RSL's home contest against Colorado Rapids due to his red-card suspension, while FW Corey Baird will serve a one-match suspension for yellow card accumulation.
- For the first time in the 2019 Regular Season, Real Salt Lake was left without a goal to show at Rio Tinto Stadium, having scored at least one in each home contest.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs Los Angeles FC
Date: August 17, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: 90 degrees with sunny blue skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
Los Angeles FC 0 2 2
LAFC: Carlos Vela (PK), 61'
LAFC: Adama Diomande (Lee Nguyen), 82'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Brooks Lennon (Sebastian Saucedo 79'), Marcelo Silva, Nedum Onuoha, Aaron Herrera; Everton Luiz, Kyle Beckerman (Sam Johnson 69'); Corey Baird, Albert Rusnák, Jefferson Savarino;Damir Kreilach (Joao Plata 76')
Subs not used: Donny Toia, Andrew Putna, Justen Glad, Justin Portillo
Los Angeles FC (4-3-3): Tyler Miller; Steven Beitashour (Tristan Blackmon 50'), Eddie Segura, Walker Zimmerman, Jordan Harvey; Mark-Anthony Kaye, Latif Blessing, Eduard Atuesta; Carlos Vela, Diego Rossi (Lee Nguyen 68'), Adama Diomande (Danilo Silva 85')
Subs not used: Adrien Pérez, Josh Pérez, Phillip Ejimadu,
Stats Summary: RSL/LAFC
Shots: 9 / 17
Shots on Goal: 4 / 7
Saves: 4 / 4
Corner Kicks: 2 / 3
Fouls: 15 / 12
Offside: 4 / 4
RSL - Corey Baird (Caution) 6'
LAFC - Walker Zimmerman (Caution) 18'
LAFC - Walker Zimmerman (Second Caution/Ejection) 48'
RSL - Everton Luiz (Caution) 56'
RSL - Aaron Herrera (Ejection) 63'
Referee: Baldomero Toledo
Assistant Referees: Logan Brown, Kyle Longville
4th Official: Marcos DeOliveira
VAR: Chico Grajeda
AVAR: Joshua Patlak
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24 - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to Vancouver at BC Place, 1-0 - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Real Salt Lake 2-0 on Saturday Night; Clinch 2019 Postseason Berth - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Travels to San Jose in Vital Western Conference Clash
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw with FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Faces FC Dallas on Saturday for the First Time in 2020
- Real Salt Lake Downs Portland Timbers FC 2-1
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Portland Timbers FC to Utah and Wednesday