LAFC and Philadelphia Union Draw 3-3 on Sunday Night
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) came back three times to draw the Philadelphia Union 3-3 on a wild Sunday night at a sold-out Banc of California Stadium. Carlos Vela, Diego Rossi and defender Eddie Segura found the back of the net for LAFC to take the team to 4 points (1-0-1) after two matches.
The visitors would get on the scoresheet just before the half-hour mark as forward Sergio Santos sent a left-footed strike past an outstretched Kenneth Vermeer. Nine minutes later, LAFC leveled things up with Vela's curling free-kick from 20 yards out. With the goal, Vela has now scored in 12 consecutive home matches, an MLS record.
Within five minutes of the restart, both teams would score again. Philadelphia scored in the 48th minute via defender Jakob Glesnes's long-range strike and LAFC tied the match in the 49th minute as Rossi sent a shot to the top left corner of the goal, scoring his second in as many matches.
In the 69th minute, Brenden Aaronson tallied a third for the Union, but LAFC would once again strike back almost instantly as Segura's effort would trickle into the back of the net in the 71st minute. Both teams traded a pair of late chances, none better than forward Brian Rodriguez's effort in stoppage time, but his attempt would be blocked away by Blake.
LAFC is back at Banc of California Stadium on Thursday, March 12 for a mid-week contest against Liga MX side Cruz Azul in the Leg 1 of the Quarterfinals of the 2020 Concacaf Champions League. A week later, both sides will meet in Leg 2 on Wednesday, March 18 at Estadio Azteca.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2020
- Lewis Morgan Enjoying Strong Start to Life in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- Professional Sports Leagues Temporarily Limit Locker Room Access to Players and Essential Staff - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Present Goals for Education to Offer Scholarships for 17 College-Bound Seniors - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC's 2020 Pub Partner Program Now up to 26 Local Bars, up from Nine in 2019 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Watch Party Schedule, Presented by Modelo - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United FC Defender Ike Opara Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Ike Opara Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: March 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Midfielder Brian Gutierrez - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Foundation P.L.A.Y.S. Program Extends Footprint to 40 Chicago Public Schools, up from 30 in 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Weekly Schedule: March 10-15, 2020 - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta United Acquires JJ Williams - Atlanta United FC
- Houston to Host Semifinals of First-Ever CONCACAF Nations League in June - Houston Dynamo
- Union earn a point in Los Angeles with three goals; Glesnes scores first MLS goal - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC and Philadelphia Union Draw 3-3 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Named to U.S. Olympic Qualifying Roster - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. U-23 MNT Roster for CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC and the LAFC Foundation to Host Second Black & Gold Blood Drive in Partnership with Banc of California
- LAFC and Banc of California Restructure Partnership
- LAFC & MLS Provide Update on 2020 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- LAFC Launch the 'LAFC Food Delivery Service' Program
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Farmer John