Minnesota United Defender Ike Opara Voted MLS Player of the Week
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Minnesota United defender Ike Opara was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the second week of the 2020 MLS season.
Opara scored two goals to help lead Minnesota to a 5-2 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes at Earthquakes Stadium on Saturday. The brace was the second in Opara's career, following a two-goal performance in a Minnesota victory over FC Cincinnati last June. Opara's two goals scored this season are tied for second most in MLS, while the Loons sit tied atop the Western Conference standings with six points.
The reigning MLS Defender of the Year gave Minnesota an early 1-0 lead in the 13th minute when he finished a Jan Gregus corner kick with a powerful header from inside the box.
Following a back-and-forth contest, Opara iced the game with a second goal in the 71st minute to give the Loons a decisive 5-2 victory. Off yet another Gregus corner kick, Opara soared over a defender to win the header and send the ball towards goal with enough power to get past a goalkeeper deflection.
Minnesota next hosts the New York Red Bulls on Sunday, March 15 at Allianz Field in the club's home opener, presented by Star Tribune (6:00 p.m. CT, FS1 / Fox Deportes / FOX Sports App / TSN1).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2020
- Lewis Morgan Enjoying Strong Start to Life in MLS - Inter Miami CF
- Professional Sports Leagues Temporarily Limit Locker Room Access to Players and Essential Staff - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Present Goals for Education to Offer Scholarships for 17 College-Bound Seniors - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC's 2020 Pub Partner Program Now up to 26 Local Bars, up from Nine in 2019 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Watch Party Schedule, Presented by Modelo - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United FC Defender Ike Opara Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Ike Opara Voted MLS Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: March 9, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Midfielder Brian Gutierrez - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Foundation P.L.A.Y.S. Program Extends Footprint to 40 Chicago Public Schools, up from 30 in 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Weekly Schedule: March 10-15, 2020 - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta United Acquires JJ Williams - Atlanta United FC
- Houston to Host Semifinals of First-Ever CONCACAF Nations League in June - Houston Dynamo
- Union earn a point in Los Angeles with three goals; Glesnes scores first MLS goal - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC and Philadelphia Union Draw 3-3 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Named to U.S. Olympic Qualifying Roster - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. U-23 MNT Roster for CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Receives Green Card
- MNUFC and Allina Health Host Second Blood Drive at Allianz Field
- Minnesota United to Conduct Individual Voluntary Workouts at National Sports Center
- MNUFC and Michelob Golden Light Say "Thank You MN" to Healthcare Workers
- MNUFC and Allianz Life Partner to Support Saint Paul's Midway and Union Park Neighborhoods