Ladendorf and Dugan Go Deep Twice as Dogs Edge Goldeyes
Rosemont, Ill. - Tyler Ladendorf and Kelly Dugan each homered twice as the Dogs cruised to a series opening 10-6 win over the Winnipeg Goldeyes.
After scoring just seven runs during their weekend series against the Milwaukee Milkmen, the Dogs exploded for seven runs - on three home runs - in the first inning, blasting Winnipeg starter Mitchell Lambson. Dogs starter Luke Westphal struck out a season-high 10, earning his third win of 2020.
The Goldeyes trailed 8-1 through three innings but made things spicy late in the game. Kyle Martin's second home run - three-run shot - put Winnipeg within three runs in the seventh. A Kevin LaChance RBI double then inched the Goldeyes closer, bringing the score to 8-6 in the eighth inning. With the tying run at second base, reliever Adam Choplick then dialed up a strikeout and a flyout to keep the Dogs on top. Dugan's second home run put Chicago up, 10-6, in the eighth, before Paul Schwendel shut the door in the top of the ninth inning.
Winning Pitcher: LHP Luke Westphal
Losing Pitcher: LHP Mitchell Lambson
Star of the Game: INF Tyler Ladendorf. The Chicago shortstop smashed his second grand slam of the season to cue his 2-for-3, 2 home run, 5 RBI evening.
Who? Winnipeg Goldeyes vs. Chicago Dogs, Games 2 and 3
Where? Impact Field, Rosemont, Illinois
When? Thursday, 4:05 p.m. CDT
Game 1: RHP Frank Duncan (Winnipeg) vs. LHP Thomas Dorminy (Chicago)
Game 2: LHP Evan Grills (Winnipeg) vs. LHP Jake Dahlberg (Chicago)
Extra Bite: The Dogs' five home runs tonight powered Chicago to 80 longballs on the season - 22 more than second-place Sioux Falls.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2020
- Goldeyes Defeat Dogs to Snap Streak - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Fall to Dogs in Slugfest - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Subdue Milkmen in Game Two Blowout - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Birds Win Extra-Inning Thriller in Fargo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Drop Opener to Dogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Snap RedHawks' Winning Streak in Extra Innings - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Ladendorf and Dugan Go Deep Twice as Dogs Edge Goldeyes - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs Fall 11-0 to RedHawks in Night Filled with Professional Debuts
- Dogs Fall 8-4 to RedHawks, But Confidence Doesn't Waiver Behind Hot-Hitting Lidge
- Connor Grey's Contract Transferred to the New York Mets
- Kipper's Development of Slider, Use of Technology Key to Recent Success
- Grey's Curveball Dominates RedHawks in 2-1 Win