LA Galaxy Foundation Launches Fifth Annual Reading Garden Challenge
The LA Galaxy Foundation, in partnership with Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation, is inviting Carson, Compton, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Lakewood, Lawndale, Lomita, Long Beach, Lynwood, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, San Pedro and Torrance area elementary schools to participate in the 2013 Reading Garden Challenge, a joint initiative of the LA Galaxy Foundation and The Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation, to encourage literacy and highlight Earth Day. For the fifth consecutive year, the Foundations will provide a custom-built Reading Garden at a local elementary school, designed to give children an enjoyable, outdoor environment in which they grow a life-long love of reading.
The Reading Garden Challenge calls for schools and students (grades K-5) to focus on Earth Day (April 22, 2013) as part of their literacy efforts by reading (or being read to) Earth Day-themed books for 30 minutes a day for 30 days (February 14-March 15, 2013) and log their minutes. The school that logs the most reading minutes will have a Reading Garden built at their school. The second place finishing school will receive a visit by an LA Galaxy player and the third place finishing school will receive a visit by the Galaxy Street Team, Star Squad and Cozmo, the club's mascot.
In case of a tie, the schools with the most Reading Garden Challenge reading minutes logged will be entered into a random drawing conducted by the LA Galaxy Foundation and The Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation. The winning school will have a Reading Garden built at their school by the LA Galaxy Foundation and The Home Depot Center Charitable Foundation.
Schools interested in participating are encouraged to review the challenge criteria and download the poster guidelines by visiting www.lagalaxy.com/community/reading-garden. All students who participate in the challenge will be awarded a Reading Garden Challenge bookmark or book cover. Past winners include Chapman Elementary School, President Avenue Elementary School, Stephen C. Foster Elementary School and Carson's Leapwood Avenue Elementary School.
For additional information about the Challenge and how you can participate, please contact Lauren Nowinski, LA Galaxy Manager of Community Relations and the LA Galaxy Foundation at 310-630-2224.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2013
- Chivas USA Arrives in Las Vegas for Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Superior Smarts Helping Caldwell Adapt to MLS - New England Revolution
- Past Experience with the Galaxy Brings Andy Riemer to the Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Defender Steven Beitashour Undergoes Sports Hernia Procedure - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Signs Defenders Steve Purdy and Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Faces the Philadelphia Union Friday in Jacksonville - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Foundation Launches Fifth Annual Reading Garden Challenge - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Trades Defender James Riley - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Acquires James Riley from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and MSG Networks Release 2013 Television Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets Go On Sale February 18 - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Sign Houston Native Bryan Salazar to Homegrown Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - New England Revolution
- Register to Run the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Behalf of the Chicago Fire Foundation - Chicago Fire
- DDC Opener Turns Physical; Tierney Injured - New England Revolution
- Revs Blanked - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Beat UCLA 7-2 in Preseason Exhibition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jack McBean and Charlie Rugg Shine in Galaxy's Preseason Win over UCLA - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Jonathan dos Santos Named to Mexican National Team Roster for Upcoming U.S. Tour Matches in Santa Clara and Arlington
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez
- Know Before You Go: LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers - Sunday, March 4
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg
- LA Galaxy Announce 2018 Theme Nights and Promotional Schedule