Past Experience with the Galaxy Brings Andy Riemer to the Club
CARSON, Calif. - LA Galaxy Assistant Coach Curt Onalfo knows Andy Riemer.
When Riemer was in his early teens, he met Onalfo who was serving as the Technical Director of McLean Youth Soccer and the veteran coach took an interest in the young midfielder. Once Riemer moved on to Georgetown University, Onalfo offered a helping hand to the youngster during the Hoyas' offseason.
"He came out and lived in L.A. for the last two summers and played [with the PDL's Orange County Blue Star] then the infrequent times that we had reserve team training, we'd invite him out to that," said Onalfo. "At one of those sessions, Bruce [Arena] was there and he made a positive impression. His biggest strength is his determination and work ethic and he's just improved every year."
"Basically, his determination and desire is to become a professional player," Onalfo added. "From the two years that I really got to see him in the summer until now and watching him and scouting him in college, you can see that he's progressed tremendously and getting him in an environment will only contribute to his development."
Throughout his four years at Georgetown, Reimer appeared in 82 games, scoring 21 goals along with eight assists. It was as a senior in 2012 that Riemer came into his own, starting all 25 of his team's games and finishing third in scoring with a career-high nine goals and two assists as the Hoyas reached the College Cup Final for the first time ever.
Riemer may not have been invited to the 2013 MLS Combine, but the Galaxy coaching staff did not forget about him and eventually selected him with the sixth overall pick in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft.
"It was kind of hard to going in [to the Draft] because no one had me going anywhere and I didn't know what I was getting myself into," said Riemer. "But Coach Arena called me the night before and said that they were basically choosing between me and another guy but leaning towards me and that was a huge relief. I wasn't going to count my chickens before they hatched but luckily on draft day, he chose me."
Riemer has made four appearances so far in the preseason, all of which have come as second half substitutes. Throughout his performances, Riemer's energy and tenacity has shined through as he has been stationed in central midfield, on the right wing and even up front on Wednesday against UCLA.
Now, the 22-year-old rookie is now setting his sights one earning a spot with the Galaxy for the 2013 season.
"It's an unbelievable opportunity," he said. "When I've come out of here the past two summers and when I explain it to people they ask if they'll pick me up and I tell them 'hopefully but it's a long shot.' Now to have the opportunity to train with this team and the guys that are on the team [is unbelievable]. This is going raise my level of soccer and I'm hoping to help [the Galaxy in] whatever way I can."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2013
- Chivas USA Arrives in Las Vegas for Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Superior Smarts Helping Caldwell Adapt to MLS - New England Revolution
- Past Experience with the Galaxy Brings Andy Riemer to the Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Defender Steven Beitashour Undergoes Sports Hernia Procedure - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Signs Defenders Steve Purdy and Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Faces the Philadelphia Union Friday in Jacksonville - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Foundation Launches Fifth Annual Reading Garden Challenge - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Trades Defender James Riley - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Acquires James Riley from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and MSG Networks Release 2013 Television Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets Go On Sale February 18 - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Sign Houston Native Bryan Salazar to Homegrown Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - New England Revolution
- Register to Run the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Behalf of the Chicago Fire Foundation - Chicago Fire
- DDC Opener Turns Physical; Tierney Injured - New England Revolution
- Revs Blanked - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Beat UCLA 7-2 in Preseason Exhibition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jack McBean and Charlie Rugg Shine in Galaxy's Preseason Win over UCLA - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Jonathan dos Santos Named to Mexican National Team Roster for Upcoming U.S. Tour Matches in Santa Clara and Arlington
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez
- Know Before You Go: LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers - Sunday, March 4
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg
- LA Galaxy Announce 2018 Theme Nights and Promotional Schedule