LA Galaxy Acquire Forward Cristian Pavan
LOS ANGELES (Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019) - The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has acquired 23-year-old forward Cristian Pavón on loan from Argentina's Club Atlético Boca Juniors. Pavón, who played in every match for Argentina during the 2018 FIFA World Cup, joins the club after playing in Argentina's top-flight division since 2012. He was acquired through the use of Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and will be added to the roster pending receipt of his P1-Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC).
"Cristian is a young and dynamic attacking addition who has the talent to be one of the most effective offensive players in Major League Soccer," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "He is a high-caliber player who will be a valuable piece to our roster moving forward. By providing him with a stable environment and a coach he knows well, we are confident that he can continue to grow and improve as a player within our club. We are extremely excited to add him to our squad and look forward to his contributions with the LA Galaxy."
Pavón has spent the majority of his career playing in Argentina's top-flight division, the Superliga, while representing Club Atlético Talleres, Club Atlético Colón and Club Atlético Boca Juniors during his time as a professional. In that span, he has amassed over 100 appearances with 60 combined goals and assists. During that time, Pavón captured the Argentine Primera División title three times while also winning a Copa Argentina and Supercopa Argentina. Internationally, the winger has made 11 appearances for the Argentina National Team, including four appearances in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Since joining Boca Juniors in 2014, Pavón has made 108 first team appearances in all competitions for the Argentinian side, scoring 28 goals and adding 32 assists while helping lead his side to Argentina's Superliga title three times. During the current season, the 23 year old has made 15 appearances in the Superliga with 13 starts. In addition, he has made four appearances off the bench in the Copa Libertadores. Before his time with Boca, Pavón began his professional career with Club Atletico Talleres, making one first team appearance and scoring twice.
Pavón has appeared for both youth and senior international teams with Argentina. In 2016, the Argentinian forward featured for his national side at the U-23 level at the 2016 Summer Olympics. A year later, Pavón earned a call up to the senior Argentinian national squad and was part of the final roster for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, where he appeared in every single match for Argentina that summer.
With the addition of Pavón, LA Galaxy manager Guillermo Barros Schelotto links up with one of his former players after managing the Argentinian attacker during part of his time at Boca Juniors. Pavón has been with Boca since 2014, while Schelotto managed the team from 2016-2018 before moving to the Galaxy.
The LA Galaxy are in action next when they travel to face D.C. this Sunday, Aug. 11 at Audi Field (4:30 p.m. PT) live on FS1 and FOX Deportes.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign forward Cristian Pavón on loan through the end of the season utilizing Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The club will also have an option to extend the loan one additional season (through the end of 2020) at the conclusion of this year. Following the 2020 season, the club will have an option to purchase the player permanently.
Name: Cristian Pavón
Weight: 143 lbs.
Born: January 21, 1996
Last Club: Boca Juniors
Birthplace: Anisacate, Argentina
Hometown: Anisacate, Argentina
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 Major League Soccer season are now available. Season Ticket Members and Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. In addition to visiting lagalaxy.com/since96, fans can secure 2020 Season Ticket Memberships at Dignity Health Sports Park by visiting Galaxy HQ next to Section 104 at any LA Galaxy home game. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to purchase memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2019
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 3 - 2 Houston Dynamo - New York City FC
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall 3-2 at New York City FC - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: New York Travels West for Nationally Televised Match vs. LAFC - New York Red Bulls
- Know Your Opponent | Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Orlando City Face Road Test at Toronto on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Florian Valot Placed on Season Ending Injury List - New York Red Bulls
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in New York City - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Community Resource Fair on Saturday, August 10 - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with the Houston Dynamo - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire FW Niko Hansen from Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- FCC Fans: Prep for the Columbus Blue out Game & Meet Nick Hagglund - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Adds Emanuel Cecchini and Luis Silva as Summer Transfer Window Closes - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Forward Cristian Pavan - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in TAM from Columbus Crew SC - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money Via Trade with D.C. United - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Homegrown Midfielder Derrick Etienne Jr. - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Loan Derrick Etienne Jr. to FC Cincinnati - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Midfielder Joseph-Claude Gyau - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers' Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Run Comes to An End with 2-1 Loss to Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 7, Sporting Kansas City 2 - Sunday, September 15, 2019
- Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Breaks LA Galaxy Single-Season Scoring Record
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 2 - Wednesday, September 11, 2019
- LA Galaxy to Host Lakers Night September 15 During Match vs. Sporting Kansas City