Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout
CHARLESTON, WV - Max Kranick took a perfect game into the sixth inning and was buoyed by a strong offensive performance from West Virginia, who cruised to a 7-0 win over the Asheville Tourists Sunday afternoon at Appalachian Power Park.
Kranick (2-4) retired the first 15 Asheville (16-18, 43-60) batters he faced on just 44 pitches, tallying five strikeouts and allowing just three balls to leave the infield. In the sixth, Taylor Snyder led off the frame with a double down the left field line, ending Kranick's perfect game bid. Snyder was quickly retired on the base paths on a 1-4-5 pickoff and caught stealing, which Kranick followed up with a strikeout and a groundout to cap his afternoon.
Elvis Escobar (S, 1) relieved Kranick in the seventh and spun three scoreless innings for West Virginia, ceding just one hit. He combined with Kranick for West Virginia's eighth shutout and third two-hitter this season.
Oneil Cruz set the pace on the first pitch, drilling a solo home run off Lucas Gilbreath (4-8) over the right-center field fence for his 12th bomb of the season.
West Virginia's shortstop struck again in the next inning. After Fabricio Macias laced a one-out double, Cruz plated him with a base knock into right field, increasing the Power's lead to 2-0.
The scoring continued for West Virginia in the third. Calvin Mitchell led off the frame with a single before Robbie Glendinning clubbed his first career MiLB home run to make it 4-0 Power. The next batter, Ryan Peurifoy, singled and later scored on Macias' second double of the game.
The final blow for Gilbreath came with two outs in the third. Kyle Watson smacked a ball past the glove of Asheville shortstop Ryan Vilade that drove in Macias and gave West Virginia a 6-0 lead.
The Power scored once more in the fifth, as Peurifoy and Jesse Medrano stroked back-to-back doubles to push the lead to 7-0.
West Virginia opens up a three-game series in Columbia, S.C., Monday evening at 7:05 p.m. at Spirit Communications Ballpark. Southpaw Domingo Robles (7-6, 3.23 ERA) toes the rubber for the Power, while the Fireflies counter with LHP Jake Simon (0-4, 2.82 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at www.wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
After three games in Columbia, S.C., West Virginia returns to Appalachian Power Park for a four-game set against the Augusta GreenJackets from August 2-5. The homestand includes a Thirsty Thursday, presented by Rock 105, Fireworks Friday, presented by Brickstreet Insurance and Electric 102.7, Back-to-School Night with a backpack giveaway courtesy of Todd Judy Ford, and a Kidz Sunday Funday. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Blanked in K-Town Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hess Breaks out But RiverDogs Swept by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Suspended in 5th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Rogers Takes No-Hitter into 8th Inning - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Series over Braves in 6-5 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Swept as Lakewood Walks off for Second-Straight Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (july 29) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (July 30-August 1) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.