Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Sunday's game between the GreenJackets and Fireflies has been suspended due to rain. Columbia held a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the fifth when heavy rain started to fall which stopped action. Because the contest was not through five full frames, it does not act as a completed regulation game (page 49 in Media Guide). These two teams will pick up this game on August 31st at SRP Park and also play a regularly scheduled nine-inning affair the same day.
Chris Viall tossed four scoreless innings and struck out four batters on the mound for the Fireflies. The righty threw 74 pitches and his final pitch, a ball to Logan Baldwin, was the first and only one thrown in the bottom of the fifth before rain forced a suspended game.
Columbia plated its two runs in the top of the first inning. Hansel Moreno reached first on a dropped third strike and then advanced to third after catcher Rob Calabrese airmailed the throw down the first-base line. Before the second batter in the frame (Matt Winaker) saw a pitch, Augusta starter Garrett Cave balked and Moreno scored. Winaker resumed his at-bat and doubled. Scott Manea knocked in Winaker with a double of his own. The visitors took an early 2-0 advantage.
The Fireflies return home on Monday night at Spirit Communications Park. First pitch against the West Virginia Power is at 7:05 p.m. and you can listen to the action on FOX SPORTS Radio 1400 AM or online at columbiafireflies.com. The game is also available to watch live on MiLB.tv. LHP Jake Simon (0-4, 2.82) starts for Columbia and faces southpaw Domingo Robles (7-6, 3.23).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Blanked in K-Town Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hess Breaks out But RiverDogs Swept by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Suspended in 5th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Rogers Takes No-Hitter into 8th Inning - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Series over Braves in 6-5 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Swept as Lakewood Walks off for Second-Straight Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (july 29) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (July 30-August 1) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16)
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory
- Fireflies Game Notes - April 19 vs. Hickory (Game 15)
- Rasquin Leads Chicharrones to First Walk-Off Win