Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss
CHARLESTON- On Sunday afternoon there were very few bright spots for the Asheville Tourists in a 7-0 loss to the West Virginia Power. One of those bright spots was the Tourists bullpen. Austin Moore, Hunter Williams, and Derrik Watson combined to limit the Power to one run over the game's final 5.1 innings.
Offensively the Tourists had no answer for West Virginia's Max Kranick. The Power right-hander retired the first 15 batters he faced and needed only 29 pitches to work through the first four innings. Taylor Snyder broke up Kranick's no-hit bid with a lead-off double in the sixth but was later picked off.
Asheville received a two-out single from Todd Czinege in the eighth to account for their only other baserunner in the game. The Tourists sent one over the minimum to the plate through nine innings.
West Virginia's offense did not have the same problems. The Power led 1-0 after one pitch. Oneil Cruz led off the bottom of the first inning with a Home Run. Cruz later added an RBI single and Robbie Glendinning added a two-run Home Run; his first of the year.
Lucas Gilbreath suffered through his toughest start since May 12. The Tourists left-hander allowed six runs through 2.2 innings. Aside from today, Gilbreath has been one of the Tourists best pitcher's over the last two months.
The Power finished the game with 14 hits giving them 37 over the three-game series. Eight of their 37 hits were two-out RBI hits with runners in scoring position. Asheville did not have one over the three-game set.
Asheville now heads to Greenville for a critical four-game series over the next three days. A sweep or series victory by the Tourists puts them right back in the hunt for the final playoff spot up for grabs in the South Atlantic League's Southern division.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Blanked in K-Town Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hess Breaks out But RiverDogs Swept by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Suspended in 5th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Rogers Takes No-Hitter into 8th Inning - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Series over Braves in 6-5 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Swept as Lakewood Walks off for Second-Straight Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (july 29) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (July 30-August 1) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.