Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103)
Columbia Fireflies (15-20, 49-53) @ Augusta GreenJackets (14-22, 51-53)
RHP Chris Viall (3-6, 4.84) vs. RHP Garrett Cave (5-6, 4.79)
Sun., July 29, 2018 - SRP Park (No. Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 5:05 p.m. - Game 103
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: Luc Rennie and Hansel Moreno highlighted Columbia's 5-1 victory over Augusta on Saturday night. Rennie tossed six innings, allowed one unearned run, and registered nine strikeouts. Moreno capped off a five-run second inning when he knocked in three runs with an inside-the-park home run.
AROUND THE BASES: Moreno's inside-the-park home run was the first by a Firefly in franchise history. The 21-year-old also became the first to do it at SRP Park.
THE INTERSTATE-20 RIVALRY: Columbia and Augusta have met 20 times this season. Ten of these battles have been decided by two runs or less and three have needed extra frames to determine a winner. Here's the top performing offensive player for each team in the series:
Hansel Moreno: .306, 2 2B, 1 3B, HR Orlando Garcia: .279, 8 RBI
The pitching has been most impressive in the series. The Fireflies own a 2.60 ERA against the GreenJackets over 20 games, while Augusta's pitching staff carries a 3.40 mark.
DOMINATION: Luc Rennie has owned the GreenJackets in two starts.
- July 22: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 14 K
- July 28: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 9 K
Rennie described his 14-strikeout outing as the best of his professional career.
LIL FONZIE: Edgardo Alfonzo's nephew, Gio, is in the midst of one of his best stretches at the plate for the Fireflies this season. The 25-year-old is on a seven-game hitting streak after collecting two hits on Saturday. He holds a .375 batting average during this span (9-for-24). Alfonzo has been the ultimate utility player as well, playing six different positions this season.
YOUTH MOVEMENT: Andres Gimenez, a 19-year-old, is currently the youngest player at the Double-A level. The 2017 Firefly has played in six games so far with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. The Mets top prospect collected six hits over his last three games.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Blanked in K-Town Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hess Breaks out But RiverDogs Swept by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Suspended in 5th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Rogers Takes No-Hitter into 8th Inning - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Series over Braves in 6-5 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Swept as Lakewood Walks off for Second-Straight Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (july 29) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (July 30-August 1) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.