Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Comeback Claws do it again! Simon Muzziotti hit a three-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the BlueClaws a 4-2 win over Hagerstown on Sunday at FirstEnergy Park. Lakewood finished their homestand at 6-1 and trailed in the seventh or later in five of the games.
The walk-off win on Sunday was Lakewood's second straight, third of the week, and sixth of the season. The BlueClaws (24-12/65-40) are now 25-games over .500 for the first time since 2010. They finished the year 18-7 against Hagerstown (12-22/39-63).
Muzziotti, who had 10 hits on the seven-game homestand, hit his first professional home run. Lakewood rallied from 2-1 down with two out and nobody on after Jake Scheiner was caught stealing. Jose Antequera walked and Daniel Brito singled setting up Muzziotti's heroics.
Lakewood has now won 14 of their last 18 games.
Luis Cedeno (2-2), who threw two perfect innings of relief, earned the win.
Hagerstown jumped out to the lead in the first inning on an RBI groundout from Jake Scudder.
Lakewood tied the game in the second inning on a fielder's choice groundout by Josh Stephen. However, Lakewood would load the bases with one out before Malvin Pena struck out both Jose Antequera and Daniel Brito to squash the rally.
The Suns took the lead in the third on a solo home run by Gage Canning off Gustavo Armas to put the Suns up 2-1. It was Canning's fourth home run since joining the Suns earlier in July.
Armas came out after seven innings, allowing two runs on five hits. It was the second time in three BlueClaws starts this year that he's finished seven innings and the third time in seven 2018 starts after he opened the year with short-season Williamsport.
Suns starter Malvin Pena gave up one run in five innings while striking out seven.
The BlueClaws open a series on Monday night at Delmarva. RHP Julian Garcia starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Luis Perez.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws celebrate a walk-off homer
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Blanked in K-Town Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hess Breaks out But RiverDogs Swept by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Suspended in 5th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Rogers Takes No-Hitter into 8th Inning - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Series over Braves in 6-5 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Swept as Lakewood Walks off for Second-Straight Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (july 29) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (July 30-August 1) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Garcia Fans 11 But Claws Drop Opener to Lexington
- Balanced Attack Gives BlueClaws Fifth Straight Win as Claws Topple Rome
- Walk-Off Claws Win Again, 5-4 over Rome on Thursday
- Maton's Grand Slam Keys BlueClaws 7-2 Wednesday Win
- Garcia, Two Relievers Combine on BlueClaws 23rd Shutout of Season