Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday
Charleston, SC - Thanks to a solid start by Hildemaro Requena and a three-run top of the second inning, the Greenville Drive defeated the Charleston RiverDogs 3-2 on Sunday to complete a sweep of the three-game series.
Coming off a tough outing on Monday at home, Requena (4-3) rebounded in a big way, as the right-hander allowed just a first inning run over six innings while scattering six hits and four walks with a pair of strikeouts.
Trailing 1-0 entering the second inning, the Drive (21-15, 46-59) offense got to work in a hurry. Three consecutive singles by Tanner Nishioka, Zach Sterry and Jordan Wren tied the game up at one, and two batters later, Samuel Miranda singled through the right side to put the Drive up 3-1 against Roansy Contreras (0-2).
The RiverDogs (17-18, 50-52) cashed in on a two-out walk in the first when Chris Hess doubled home Dermis Garcia from first base.
They trimmed the Drive lead to 3-2 in the eighth on an RBI single by Welfrin Mateo, but that was as close as they would get, as Durbin Feltman pitched a perfect ninth to notch his third save.
Nishioka logged his third consecutive three-hit game of the series, and Sterry collected three hits as well. Miranda chipped in with two hits and two RBI.
The Drive return home on Monday to begin a four-game series against the Asheville Tourists, an affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. Right-hander Denyi Reyes (10-3, 1.76) will take the mound for the Drive in the series opener, which begins at 7:05 PM at Fluor Field.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Drive Complete Sweep of RiverDogs on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Blanked in K-Town Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hess Breaks out But RiverDogs Swept by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Suspended in 5th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and GreenJackets Suspended in Fifth Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Rogers Takes No-Hitter into 8th Inning - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Take Series over Braves in 6-5 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Kranick Flirts with Perfection in 7-0 Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- Slow Start Leads to Ninth Shutout Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Comeback Claws Do It Again: Walk-Off Home Run for Simon Muzziotti in 4-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Swept as Lakewood Walks off for Second-Straight Night - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 29 at Augusta (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (july 29) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Homestand Highlights (July 30-August 1) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Drive Announces Coaching Staff for 15th Anniversary Season
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Drive Recognized with Multiple South Atlantic League Awards
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets
- Third Inning Pushes GreenJackets Past Drive