Kisena Strong, But Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader
WASHINGTON, Pa. - After they won four straight games to open the season, the Gateway Grizzlies dropped both games of a doubleheader Thursday night to the Washington Wild Things in Washington, Pennsylvania.
In the nightcap, Gateway (4-2) bats fell silent: They went without a hit until Trae Santos doubled with two outs in the fourth inning, and he was the only Grizzlie to reach scoring position in a 1-0 defeat.
Alec Kisena (1-1) took the hard-luck loss, despite allowing only one run on two hits in six innings of work. The righthander struck out nine Wild Things without a walk. Outside of the second inning, he retired all 16 batters he faced - the only Washington baserunner came on a wild-pitch strikeout.
Gateway took the first lead in game one on a Trae Santos RBI single in the top of the first inning, but Washington (4-2) answered on a James Harris solo homer in the bottom of the inning before piling on three in the second, three more in the third, one in the fourth and three in the fifth en route to an 11-4 win.
Harris hit for the cycle in his first four at-bats of game one - home run, single, triple, double in five innings. He drove in four, scored three and stole a base.
Mike Elwood (0-1) took the loss in the first game.
Gateway is right back at it tomorrow night at 6:05 p.m. CDT in Florence, Kentucky, against the Freedom - the Grizzlies and the Freedom are tied for first place in the Frontier League's West Division. Grizzlies Media Network coverage begins at 5:50 p.m. CDT on yoradio.com/grizzlies, the Yo Radio app and KJFF (1400 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Kisena Strong, But Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader - Gateway Grizzlies
- Beach Bums Drop Heartbreaker in Ninth Inning - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Harris Hits for Cycle in Game One of Wild Things DH Sweep - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out by Boomers in Rubber Match - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Blank Southern Illinois to Win Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters to Host Superhero Night June 15 Along with Other Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Sebald Goes the Distance in Loss to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Fall in Series Finale against Joliet - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Shutout Again As Windy City Wins Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Big First Inning Helps ThunderBolts Win Series - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers finish sweep of CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Avoid Sweep against Evansville - Joliet Slammers
- Cubs Sign Crushers Closer - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Turn It to 11 in Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.