Beach Bums Drop Heartbreaker in Ninth Inning
O'FALLON, MO- The Traverse City Beach Bums(2-4) came back from a 4-0 deficit but, for the second straight night, lost in walk-off fashion by a final score of 6-5 as the River City Rascals(3-2) sweep this week's three game series.
River City got on the board in the first inning on an RBI double by Mike Jurgella and an RBI groundout by Braxton Martinez. In the first, the Rascals doubled their lead when Martinez drove a double off of the big wall in right, scoring two runs, making it a 4-0 game. John Havird settled down from there retiring the final thirteen batters he faced, allowing the Beach Bums to chip away at the deficit.
With one out in the fourth, Jason Heinrich extended his hitting streak to four games with a double, then scored the first Traverse City run on an Alexis Rivera sacrifice fly. In the fifth, with two away, Max Dutto singled to left then Donald Glover Jr. Hit his first homer of the season, a blast to right, to pull the Bums within one.
After a scoreless sixth, Steve Lohr led off the seventh with a walk and Josh Hauser came in to pinch run for him. Kendall Patrick followed with a single up the middle then Dutto was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Glover tied the game up with a single to center then Isaac Benard gave the Bums the lead with a pinch hit RBI single. In the ninth, River City loaded the bases, and with two outs, Taylor Love struck out but the pitch was wild, scoring the runner from third, and after Luke Lowery's throw to first went wide, the runner from second score to end the game.
John Michael Knighton suffered the loss as he started the ninth and allowed two runs on a hit and a walk. He falls to 1-1. Joe Iorio retired the last six he faced to pick up the win for the Rascals, and his first win of the season. With the sweep, the Beach Bums have lost nine in a row to the Rascals, dating back to last season.
Tomorrow night, the Beach Bums take a trip to suburban Chicago to visit the Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers to start a three game series. Kyle Cedotel goes for Schaumburg while Seth Brenner gets the call for the Beach Bums, in a battle of lefties. First pitch is scheduled for 7:30pm(EDT) and Tom Willms will start the broadcast at 7:10 with the Budweiser pregame show. You can hear the game at TCBeachBums.com.
Opening night is Wednesday, May 23rd, and you'll get double the bang for your buck with a doubleheader against the Florence Freedom. Magnet schedules will be given out to the first 500 fans, so arrive early and don't miss out! The gates open at 4pm with first pitch for game one set to begin at 5:05pm. For information and tickets, go to TCBeachBums.com or call the office at (231) 943-0100.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Kisena Strong, But Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader - Gateway Grizzlies
- Beach Bums Drop Heartbreaker in Ninth Inning - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Harris Hits for Cycle in Game One of Wild Things DH Sweep - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out by Boomers in Rubber Match - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Blank Southern Illinois to Win Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters to Host Superhero Night June 15 Along with Other Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Sebald Goes the Distance in Loss to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Fall in Series Finale against Joliet - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Shutout Again As Windy City Wins Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Big First Inning Helps ThunderBolts Win Series - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers finish sweep of CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Avoid Sweep against Evansville - Joliet Slammers
- Cubs Sign Crushers Closer - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Turn It to 11 in Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.