Boomers Blank Southern Illinois to Win Series
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers presented by Wintrust Community Banks, rode the pitching of opening night starter Steven Ridings to a 4-0 shutout win over the Southern Illinois Miners to win the first home series of the season.
Ridings retired the first 12 batters of the game before sidestepping trouble in the top of the fifth, stranding a pair of runners. Southern Illinois starter Kurt Heyer was just as effective, sitting down 11 straight at one point. The first run of the game scored in the bottom of the sixth inning to break the run of zeroes. James Keller was hit by a pitch and moved to third on a double from Jack Parenty. With one away, Clint Hardy drove home the first run with a groundout. Josh Gardiner and Casey Scoggins added RBI doubles in the seventh and eighth to help Schaumburg pull away.
Ridings struck out 10 in 6.2 innings, allowing just three hits to earn the win. The performance marked the second consecutive double-digit strikeout showing by a starter after Kit Fowler fanned 10 on Wednesday. James Mulry and Mitch Schulewitz combined on the seventh and eighth while Jake Joyce closed the door in the ninth. Three of the first six games this season have been shutouts.
The season opening homestand continues on Friday night when the Traverse City Beach Bums visit at 6:30 p.m. to open the first divisional series of the year. LHP Kyle Cedotal starts for Schaumburg. It will be Jurassic Ballpark Night on Friday, featuring postgame fireworks.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Kisena Strong, But Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader - Gateway Grizzlies
- Beach Bums Drop Heartbreaker in Ninth Inning - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Harris Hits for Cycle in Game One of Wild Things DH Sweep - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out by Boomers in Rubber Match - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Blank Southern Illinois to Win Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters to Host Superhero Night June 15 Along with Other Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Sebald Goes the Distance in Loss to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Fall in Series Finale against Joliet - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Shutout Again As Windy City Wins Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Big First Inning Helps ThunderBolts Win Series - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers finish sweep of CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Avoid Sweep against Evansville - Joliet Slammers
- Cubs Sign Crushers Closer - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Turn It to 11 in Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.