Sebald Goes the Distance in Loss to Lake Erie
AVON, Ohio - CornBelter ace Scott Sebald went the distance on Thursday, but Normal (1-5) would drop the final game of the series 2-0 to Lake Erie (4-2).
First-year manager Billy Horn has to be impressed with his starting pitching already this season. Sebald threw another gem in his second start. The lefty went on to complete eight innings and only surrendered two runs on seven hits. He added five more strikeouts to his total of seven in 14 innings of work.
Lake Erie got to Sebald in the fourth with a solo shot to go up 1-0. The Cincinnati native kept the Crushers silent until the eighth when a sac-fly brought in the second run of the game.
The CornBelters had a handful of opportunities to get on the board but again struggled to piece it together.
In the second, Derrick Loveless doubled then advanced to third on a single by Tanner Lubach, but the CornBelters bounced into a double play to end the threat.
Santiago Chirino continued his hit streak with a leadoff single in the fourth and now is tied for a league-leading 11 hits. The CornBelter shortstop is hitting .440 which ranks third in the league. Chris Iriart followed with a single to put runners on first and second with no outs. Andrew Godbold bounced into fielder's choice that moved Iriart to third. Four pitches later, Godbold stole snagged his first bag of the year and advanced to second with one out, but like all series long, the Lake Erie bullpen would get out of the jam.
Normal had one more chance in ninth when Loveless hit his second double of the game with two outs. However, the Belter right fielder would become the 22nd runner left stranded in the three-game series.
Following the trip to Lake Erie, the CornBelters look to stop their four-game skid in Evansville with the first game starting on Friday at 6:35 p.m.
Images from this story
Normal CornBelters pitcher Scott Sebald
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Kisena Strong, But Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader - Gateway Grizzlies
- Beach Bums Drop Heartbreaker in Ninth Inning - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Harris Hits for Cycle in Game One of Wild Things DH Sweep - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out by Boomers in Rubber Match - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Blank Southern Illinois to Win Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters to Host Superhero Night June 15 Along with Other Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Sebald Goes the Distance in Loss to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Fall in Series Finale against Joliet - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Shutout Again As Windy City Wins Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Big First Inning Helps ThunderBolts Win Series - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers finish sweep of CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Avoid Sweep against Evansville - Joliet Slammers
- Cubs Sign Crushers Closer - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Turn It to 11 in Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.