Miners Shut out by Boomers in Rubber Match
Schaumburg, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners could not get the bats going on Thursday night at Boomers Stadium, losing 4-0 to the Schaumburg Boomers in the rubber match of their road series and dropping to 3-3 in 2018.
The first five innings breezed by as Miners starter Kurt Heyer threw brilliantly, facing just one batter over the minimum through the first five frames with no walks. Schaumburg starter Steven Ridings (1-1) was perfect through four innings, and the Miners were able to get two runners on against him in the bottom of the fifth, but were unable to score.
In the sixth, Schaumburg took the lead for good, as after Heyer (1-1) hit James Keller with a pitch leading off, Jack Parenty doubled to put runners at second and third base with no one out. After a groundout back to Heyer for the first out, Clint Hardy hit a ground ball to the shortstop to bring home the first run of the game and make it 1-0.
The Boomers would add runs against the Miners' bullpen in the seventh, on a two-out double by Josh Gardiner, and in the eighth by stringing together three hits along with a wild pitch for the final 4-0 score. Southern Illinois was held to just three hits in the game, as Ridings struck out 10 batters in six and two-thirds innings for Schaumburg, and out-dueled Heyer, who finished with a quality start and surrendered just a single run on two hits in six strong innings, but took the hard-luck loss.
The Miners return to Marion over the weekend for a three-game series at Rent One Park against the River City Rascals. They open the series on Friday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m., as Geno Encina will make his second start of the year for the black and gold, matching up against former Miners right-hander Josh Kimborowicz.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's winningest franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.siminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Kisena Strong, But Grizzlies Swept in Doubleheader - Gateway Grizzlies
- Beach Bums Drop Heartbreaker in Ninth Inning - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Harris Hits for Cycle in Game One of Wild Things DH Sweep - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out by Boomers in Rubber Match - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Blank Southern Illinois to Win Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters to Host Superhero Night June 15 Along with Other Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Sebald Goes the Distance in Loss to Lake Erie - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Fall in Series Finale against Joliet - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Shutout Again As Windy City Wins Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Big First Inning Helps ThunderBolts Win Series - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers finish sweep of CornBelters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Avoid Sweep against Evansville - Joliet Slammers
- Cubs Sign Crushers Closer - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Turn It to 11 in Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.