June 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information
CAROLINA MUDCATS (MILWAUKEE BREWERS) at BUIES CREEK ASTROS (HOUSTON ASTROS)
Wednesday, June 13, 2018 | 6:00 PM | Game 65, Away Game 31 | at Jim Perry Stadium | Buies Creek, NC
RADIO: WDWG, The Big Dawg 98.5 FM
STREAMING AUDIO: www.carolinamudcats.com, TuneIn Radio
STREAMING VIDEO: N/A
Overall Record: CAR: 30-34; BC: 35-29
Streaks: CAR: L1; BC: W1
Last 10 Games: CAR: 3-7, BC: 4-6
Home Record: CAR: 19-15; BC: 19-14
Road Record: CAR: 11-19; BC: 16-15
Division Record: CAR: 21-30; BC: 23-21
Current Series: Tied 1-1 (of 3)
Season Series: Tied 6-6 (of 28)
CAR v. OPP: 1-3 @CAR (11), 5-3 @OPP (17)
UPCOMING PROBABLE STARTERS:
WED, 6/13, 6:00 PM: Carolina RHP Devin Williams (0-0, 3.86) at Buies Creek RHP Cristian Javier (-, -.--)
THU, 6/14, 7:05 PM: Carolina RHP Braden Webb (3-5, 4.84) at Myrtle Beach RHP Keegan Thompson (3-3, 3.56)
FRI, 6/15, 7:05 PM: Carolina RHP Victor Diaz (2-4, 4.61) at Myrtle Beach RHP Tyson Miller (6-4, 3.38)
TONIGHT: The Mudcats continue an eight game road trip tonight with game three of a three game series versus the Buies Creek Astros at Jim Perry Stadium in Buies Creek. After yesterday's doubleheader split, the current series is tied 1-1. Overall, Carolina is 6-6 this season against the Astros, including a 5-3 record against the Astros at Buies Creek.
ICYMI: Cooper Hummel hit a three-run home run and Rob Henry went 2-for-3 with two doubles as the Mudcats took game one 9-4, but starter Brandon Bailey took a no-hitter into the sixth in game two as the Astros defeated Carolina 2-1 to finish with a split in Tuesday's doubleheader at Jim Perry Stadium in Buies Creek.
ABOUT THE LAST ONE: Cooper Hummel went 2-for-3, with three runs and a three-run home run game one of yesterday's doubleheader. The home run was his third of the season, with all three counting for three-run blasts.
STARTING OFF: RHP Devin Williams will make his second start of the season tonight when he faces the Astros at Jim Perry Stadium in Buies Creek. Williams last started on June 7 versus Down East and ended up pitching through 2.1 innings with one run allowed on three hits in what was his 2018 and Mudcats debut. He also walked one and struck out three while reaching 43 pitches (26 strikes).
WHERE THEY RANK: LHP Cam Roegner is currently 1st in the Carolina League in earned run average (1.64), 5th in WHIP (1.07), 4th in fewest baserunners/9ip ratio (9.97) and 3rd in innings pitched (71.1)... SS Luis Aviles Jr. is currently 3rd in the CL in stolen bases (15)... INF Ronnie Gideon (84) and INF/OF Tucker Neuhaus (80) and 1st and 2nd in the CL lead in most strikeouts... RHP Luke Barker is tied for 2nd in the CL in games (20). Barker is also 3rd in lowest average against (.170) and 2nd in fewest baserunners/9ip (7.87).
ON THE LISTS: The Mudcats roster currently features several of the Brewers top 30 prospects as ranked by Baseball America; including RHP Phil Bickford (No. 17), C Mario Feliciano (No. 20), RHP Marcos Diplan (No. 20) and LHP Nathan Kirby (No. 27)... Marcos Diplan and Mario Feliciano are also currently rated as the No. 11 and No. 14 prospects in the Brewers system by MLBPipeline.com.
STINGY MAY: Carolina pitchers combined to pitch to a Carolina League best 2.65 ERA in May (258.1 IP, 105 BB, 255 SO, .225 AVG). They also went 16-13 in May, while the offense totaled 20 home runs, 4.48 runs/game and a .245 average (.702 OPS).
GOT HEEEM: Max McDowell leads MiLB catchers in most caught steals (33) and is 2nd in caught stealing/stolen base efficiency (.559) for catchers with at least 30 attempts against in all of MiLB... McDowell also leads all MiLB catcher in most assists (58)... McDowell totaled 18 CS (.450) during his first season with the AZL Brewers in 2015. He then totaled 54 CS (.443) in 2016 with Wisconsin and 31 CS (.556) last season with Carolina.
MUDDIES ON THE POND: Carolina is batting a CL low .236 (.673 OPS) with runners on base. The Mudcats are also 9th in the CL when batting with runners in scoring position (.240, .706 OPS) and 8th when batting with RISP/2-outs (.218, .671 OPS) this season.
HITS AND Ks: The Carolina offense has totaled 131 more strikeouts than hits (627 SO, 496 H) so far this season. Carolina's difference in strikeouts over hits is currently the 3rd largest in MiLB. Since 1991, only the 2017 and 2007 Mudcats have finished a season with more strikeouts than hits. Carolina totaled 164 more strikeouts than hits in 2017 (1,245 SO [franchise record], 1,081 H) and 70 more strikeouts than hits in 2007 (1,219 SO, 1,149 H).
ALL THE STARS: The Mudcats placed four players on the 2018 Carolina League Southern Division All-Star team, including CL earned run average leader LHP Cam Roegner, starter RHP Marcos Diplan, INF Tucker Neuhaus and MiLB caught steals leader C Max McDowell.
ALUMNI REPORT: Keston Hiura (2018) went 2-for-4 with a double, a RBI and a run yesterday for Double-A Biloxi. Hiura is now batting .341/.400/.463 (14-for-41) with six runs, five doubles and a .863 OPS over 11 games since being promoted to Biloxi on 6/1.
THE MUDCATS HAVE...
... Stranded the most base runners in the CL (470).
... Averaged the 3rd fewest runs per game in the CL (4.16).
... Totaled the 8th fewest runs (266) in the CL this season.
... Allowed the 2nd fewest runs (255) in the CL this season.
... Totaled the worst K% in the CL this season (26.4%).
... Converted 48% of save opp. (13 SV, 27 SVO); 10th in CL.
... Totaled a CL leading 38 caught steals (.432 - 2nd in CL).
... Gone 4-2 in doubleheaders this season.
... Not made the playoffs since the 2008 season.
... Not made the playoffs during their Carolina League era.
... Been in Zebulon, NC since 1991 (28th season).
... Been in the Carolina League since 2012 (7th season).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Doubleheader Split Leaves Potomac One Game Away from Postseason - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Stymies P-Nats 5-3 in Nightcap Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Nearly No-Hit in 2-1 Loss to Astros - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Finishes off Sweep with 3-2 Win over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Goes Missing in Frederick, Hillcats Get Swept by Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Nip the Wood Ducks in the Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bender, Blue Rocks Outduel Wood Ducks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Banks Pitches Dash to Sweep-Clinching Win against Birds - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Sweep Five-Game Set against Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Sox Stung 6-1 by Potomac in Game 1 Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 13 vs. Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, June 13 at Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Erwin Added to CL North All-Star Team - Frederick Keys
- Edgar Arredondo Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Blue Rocks - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Carolina Mudcats Stories
- Amy Peterson Named Carolina League Female Executive of the Year
- Joe Kremer Named Carolina League Executive of the Year
- Mudcats Announce 2019 Carolina League Season Schedule
- Mudcats Join Minor League Baseball's "Copa De La Diversion" for 2019
- Minor League Teams Across Carolinas Unite for Storm Relief