Keys Sweep Five-Game Set against Hillcats
FREDERICK, MD-The Frederick Keys (31-33) won both games of a doubleheader on their way to a five-game sweep of the Lynchburg Hillcats (27-36) on Wednesday night at Nymeo Field. The Keys collected just two hits in game one, but won 3-0 while winning by the same score in game two. Over the course of the series, Keys pitchers allowed just two runs while their winning streak improved to six games.
Despite not recording a hit until the fifth inning of game one, the Keys took a 1-0 lead in the fourth. Colby Rasmus led off with a walk, and advanced to second on a Preston Palmeiro fly out. Rasmus moved to third on a ground out, and then scored on a wild pitch.
The first hit for the Keys came on a Collin Woody fifth inning leadoff double. He was immediately followed by T.J. Nichting, who drove in Woody with a double of his own to left-center field. Following a lineout from Alejandro Juvier, Hillcats starter Eli Morgan hit Stuart Levy and Ryan McKenna to load the bases. That brought up Rasmus, who hit a sacrifice fly that made it a 3-0 Keys lead.
Zac Lowther (2-0) earned the win for the Keys. The left-hander allowed seven hits over 5.1 innings while striking out five. Morgan (2-2) pitched a complete game (six innings) but took the loss. He allowed three runs on two hits while walking one and striking out seven. He also hit three batters.
In game two, Frederick jumped out to an early 1-0 lead. McKenna led off with a walk and advanced to third on a Palmeiro sacrifice bunt. A Wilson Garcia double then scored McKenna.
The Keys would extend their lead in the third. With one out, Garcia worked a walk. That brought up Jomar Reyes, who doubled to right center field. Caught off of third, Garcia ran home and a wide throw allowed him to score and Reyes to move to third. Reyes then scored on a Nichting double to make it 3-0.
Making his first start of the year, Travis Seabrooke fired four scoreless frames and allowed just two hits while striking out four. Matt Trowbridge (1-0) picked up the win in relief. He fired three scoreless innings and struck out four. Felix Tati (2-2) took the loss for Lynchburg. The right-hander allowed three runs on four hits in 2.1 innings He walked four and struck out one.
The Keys begin another five-game series on Thursday against the Down East Wood Ducks. The Keys have not announced their starter, and the game one starter for the Wood Ducks is slated to be Walker Weickel (1-5, 4.30). First pitched is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. and can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn Radio app.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. In 2017, the Keys received the Esurance Home Field Advantage Award for Carolina League for the second straight season, after leading the circuit in highest percentage of attendance based on ballpark capacity. The club will celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2018. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Doubleheader Split Leaves Potomac One Game Away from Postseason - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Stymies P-Nats 5-3 in Nightcap Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Nearly No-Hit in 2-1 Loss to Astros - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Finishes off Sweep with 3-2 Win over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Goes Missing in Frederick, Hillcats Get Swept by Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Nip the Wood Ducks in the Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bender, Blue Rocks Outduel Wood Ducks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Banks Pitches Dash to Sweep-Clinching Win against Birds - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Sweep Five-Game Set against Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Sox Stung 6-1 by Potomac in Game 1 Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 13 vs. Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, June 13 at Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Erwin Added to CL North All-Star Team - Frederick Keys
- Edgar Arredondo Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Blue Rocks - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.