Edgar Arredondo Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week
KINSTON, NC - On Monday the Carolina League announced their players of the week for games played June 4th-10th. Down East RHP Edgar Arredondo was named as the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week for the second time this season.
Arredondo, 21, made his third start of the year against the Mudcats on Tuesday the 5th, but was still as dominant in his first two. He tossed seven innings and only allowed two hits while also fanning seven batters. It was also his 24th career start in 56 in which he did not allow a walk.
He already earned Pitcher of the Week honors for his start against Carolina on May 15th at Grainger Stadium. In three starts against Carolina this season, Arredondo did not allow a run in 19.1 innings pitched while collecting 22 strikeouts.
The south division All-Star's ERA currently sits in seventh for the Carolina League. He also appears in the top five for the league in strikeouts per nine innings (4th, 10.31), fewest walks per nine innings (4th, 1.67), and total strikeouts (4th, 68).
Arredondo is the one of five Wood Ducks to ever earn "Pitcher of the Week" status from the Carolina League. He joins Pedro Payano, Jeffrey Springs, and Wes Benjamin who were honored during the 2017 season and Jonathan Hernandez this season, just last week.
After going the first five weeks of the season without an award winner, Arredondo started this streak of four weeks with a recipient for the Woodies. Anderson Tejeda was Player of the Week for the final week of May and Hernandez as the most recent winner.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Doubleheader Split Leaves Potomac One Game Away from Postseason - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Stymies P-Nats 5-3 in Nightcap Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Nearly No-Hit in 2-1 Loss to Astros - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Finishes off Sweep with 3-2 Win over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Goes Missing in Frederick, Hillcats Get Swept by Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Nip the Wood Ducks in the Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bender, Blue Rocks Outduel Wood Ducks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Banks Pitches Dash to Sweep-Clinching Win against Birds - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Sweep Five-Game Set against Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Sox Stung 6-1 by Potomac in Game 1 Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 13 vs. Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, June 13 at Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Erwin Added to CL North All-Star Team - Frederick Keys
- Edgar Arredondo Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Blue Rocks - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.