Banks Pitches Dash to Sweep-Clinching Win against Birds
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Tanner Banks recorded his seventh consecutive quality start, tossing seven strong innings to lead the Dash to a 3-2 win over Myrtle Beach on Wednesday at BB&T Ballpark. With the win, the Dash sweep the Pelicans and earn their sixth straight victory.
Winston-Salem (39-27) is now in a position to clinch a first-half Southern Division championship on Thursday at BB&T Ballpark. The Dash's magic number is two, meaning a Winston-Salem win coupled with a Buies Creek loss gives the Dash the first-half title.
The Dash jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning against Myrtle Beach (33-32) starter Cory Abbott (1-1). After Joel Booker led off with a double, he came in to score on a triple from Alex Call. Next, Blake Rutherford lofted a deep fly ball to centerfield, bringing in Call on a sacrifice fly.
Meanwhile, Tanner Banks (6-2) cruised through the first two innings, retiring the first six batters he faced. However, Myrtle Beach got on the board in the third. After Banks retired the first two batters in the inning, he allowed a single to Luis Ayala and walked Andruw Monasterio to put runners on first and second. Then, Aramis Ademan singled to left to plate the Pelicans first run.
But, the Dash bounced right back with a run in the bottom of the frame. With the bases empty and two outs, Gavin Sheets beat the shift with a double down the third-base line to put himself in scoring position. Then, Ti'Quan Forbes bashed a single up the middle to bring home Sheets and give the Dash a 3-1 lead.
The Pelicans scratched a run across in the seventh inning. With runners on first and third and one out, Austin Upshaw lined a single over Yeyson Yrizarri at shortstop to bring home P.J. Higgins from third. Myrtle Beach had a chance to tie the game on a single from Luis Ayala, but Rutherford fired a strike to Yermin Mercedes at home plate to gun down Kevonte Mitchell trying to score the tying run.
Kyle Kubat kept Myrtle Beach at bay in the eighth, needing just seven pitches to retire the side in order before handing the ball off to Matt Foster in the ninth. Foster, who was named a Carolina League All-Star on Monday, fired a 1-2-3 ninth to lock down his seventh save in as many opportunities.
The first-half #DashToThePostseason continues tomorrow at 7:00 p.m., when the Dash start a four-game series with the Wilmington Blue Rocks. Right-hander Dylan Cease (8-2, 2.97 ERA) starts for Winston-Salem against Blue Rocks right-hander Gerson Garabito (2-5, 4.35 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on WSJS Sports (600 AM and 101.5 FM) and wsjssports.com. Fans can also tune in at wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Thursday's game against the Blue Rocks is a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday, featuring select beers available for $1 through the seventh inning. The rest of the homestand includes Hometown Heroes USA Night and postgame fireworks on Friday, a Chick-fil-A Four Pack Night on Saturday and a Father's Day Sunday. Meanwhile, kids can run the bases after each weekend contest, powered by New Balance Winston-Salem. For tickets and more information, call the Dash (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Doubleheader Split Leaves Potomac One Game Away from Postseason - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Stymies P-Nats 5-3 in Nightcap Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Nearly No-Hit in 2-1 Loss to Astros - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Finishes off Sweep with 3-2 Win over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Goes Missing in Frederick, Hillcats Get Swept by Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Nip the Wood Ducks in the Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bender, Blue Rocks Outduel Wood Ducks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Banks Pitches Dash to Sweep-Clinching Win against Birds - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Sweep Five-Game Set against Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Sox Stung 6-1 by Potomac in Game 1 Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 13 vs. Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, June 13 at Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Erwin Added to CL North All-Star Team - Frederick Keys
- Edgar Arredondo Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Blue Rocks - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.