Winston-Salem Finishes off Sweep with 3-2 Win over Birds
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Tanner Banks' strong start for the Winston-Salem Dash was too much for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Wednesday night in a 3-2 loss from BB&T Ballpark.
Banks (6-2) won his sixth straight game by tossing seven innings, ceding two runs on seven hits while striking out one and walking two.
The Dash (39-27) started things early against Myrtle Beach (33-32) starter Cory Abbott . Alex Call tripled home Joel Booker in the first inning and Call scored when Blake Rutherford lifted a sacrifice fly to center.
With the Birds trialing 2-0 in the third, Aramis Ademan brought the Pelicans within one on an RBI single. The Dash countered in the bottom of the third with a Ti'Quan Forbes RBI single to make it 3-1 Winston-Salem.
In the seventh, the Pelicans fought back when Austin Upshaw singled home P.J. Higgins. However, later in the frame, Kevonte Mitchell was thrown out at the plate on a single from Luis Ayala to keep Myrtle Beach within a run.
Casey Bloomquist (three innings) and Jhon Romero (one inning) combined to throw four scoreless frames for the Pelicans out of the bullpen.
The Pelicans travel back home for the first contest of a five-game, four-day series with the Carolina Mudcats from TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark. RHP Keegan Thompson (3-3, 3.56 ERA) goes for the Birds against Muddies RHP Braden Webb (3-5, 4.84 ERA). Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
DJ Spinderella performs following Thursday's game as the Pelicans kick off their postgame concert series. Thursday's contest is also a Thisty Thursday, meaning $1 12 oz. Bud and Bud Light drafts, $2 16 oz. cans and half-price Duplin wine from 6-8 p.m..
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Doubleheader Split Leaves Potomac One Game Away from Postseason - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Stymies P-Nats 5-3 in Nightcap Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Nearly No-Hit in 2-1 Loss to Astros - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Finishes off Sweep with 3-2 Win over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Offense Goes Missing in Frederick, Hillcats Get Swept by Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Nip the Wood Ducks in the Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bender, Blue Rocks Outduel Wood Ducks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Banks Pitches Dash to Sweep-Clinching Win against Birds - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Sweep Five-Game Set against Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Sox Stung 6-1 by Potomac in Game 1 Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 13 vs. Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, June 13 at Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Erwin Added to CL North All-Star Team - Frederick Keys
- Edgar Arredondo Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wood Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Blue Rocks - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- RHP Brian Glowicki placed on the 7-day Injured List
- Keys Tie It in the Ninth, Win It in the 11th to Capture Series Victory over Pelicans
- RHP Erich Uelmen transferred to Myrtle Beach from Extended Spring Training
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 23 at Frederick
- Frederick Uses Huge Innings to Down Myrtle Beach on Wednesday