Jones, Mondesir Lift Coyotes Past Colts
SAN ANGELO, Texas- The Edinburg Coyotes defeated the San Angelo Colts 2-1 in game one of the double header Thursday night at Foster Field.
James Mondesir (1-2) made the spot start for the Coyotes (32-37) in game one of the double header. Mondesir picked up his first win of the year after pitching six innings allowing one run on just one hit.
The Coyotes scored against the Colts in the top of the third inning. Alex Entrekin hit a grounder that should have been the final out of the inning but was bobbled by Colts shortstop Albert Gonzalez which kept the inning alive. Then Daryl Jones hit his ninth home run of the season that gave the Coyotes a 2-0 lead. The Colts (42-26) started the fourth inning with a walk by John Anderson. With two ground balls, Anderson moved around the diamond and ended up at third base. With Andres Rodriguez at the plate, Anderson came around to score on a wild pitch by Mondesir which cut the lead to one.
Julio Castro worked a scoreless seventh inning preserving the win for Mondesir and the Coyotes. Castro picked up his ninth save of the season after allowing just a walk and striking out one which ended the game.
The Coyotes and Colts will play the finale of the four game series Friday night at Foster Field. Carlos Jan (1-2) will face Alex Merricks (2-0) in the series finale before the Coyotes head back to Amarillo for a three game series against the Dillas.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 31, 2008
- Three-run homers lead Coyotes to doubleheader sweep over Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes complete double header sweep - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts bats go quiet in Game 1 loss - San Angelo Colts
- Aces cruise to victory - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos Nip WhiteWings in Middle Game of Series - Laredo Broncos
- Broncos Edge WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Jones, Mondesir Lift Coyotes Past Colts - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Coyotes Lend a Helping Hand - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edinburg Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners drop heart-breaker
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
- Roadrunners snap 3-game skid
- Roadrunners drop series opener
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts