Roadrunners take opening game from Colts
EDINBURG, TEXAS ---- The Edinburg Roadrunners defeated the San Angelo Colts 6-2 Monday night at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. The win clinches a playoff berth for the Roadrunners and moves them within three games for first place in the United League Standings.
Miguel Martinez (8-4) picked up his eighth win of the season after he allowed two runs while scattering three hits and striking out three in eight innings of work.
The Colts (45-28) got on the board in the top of the first against Martinez with an RBI double by Rich Paz that allowed Hunter Jobes to score from first giving San Angelo the early 1-0 lead.
Wilmer Pino started the bottom of the first inning with a single to left and then moved to second on a passed ball. Sergio Guerrero drew a walk and then Pino stole third to put runners on the corners. Guerrero then stole second base and the throw from Colts catcher Travis Calloway sailed into center allowing Pino to score from third to tie the game at one. With Guerrero at third after the throwing error, Hunter Owen hit an RBI single that allowed Guerrero to score giving the Roadrunners the 2-1 lead.
Calloway led off the top of the third with a single to left and later came into score on a sacrifice fly by Jobes that tied things at two.
The Roadrunners (42-31) regained the lead in the bottom of the sixth with an RBI single by Vincent Blue that allowed Owen to score from second. With runners on the corners, Colts starter Chandler Barnard (9-4) was called for a balk which allowed Bryon Smith to score making it a 4-2 game.
Edinburg extended their lead in the bottom of the seventh with a sacrifice fly by Carlos Hereaud that allowed Pino to touch home plate making the score 5-2.
The Roadrunners added a run in the bottom of the eighth with an RBI single by Pino that drove in Blue from third extending the lead 6-2.
Brian Martin pitched a scoreless ninth to end the game giving Edinburg the 6-2 victory.
The Roadrunners and Colts will play the second game of this four-game series Tuesday night at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. Danny Rondon (5-1) is expected to face Brett Lester (4-3) with the first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 24, 2009
- Dillas one game away from playoffs with 13-7 win - Amarillo Dillas
- Trevino Goes the Distance for 9-1 Victory - Coastal Bend Thunder
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Dillas use six-run fourth to beat WhiteWings, 13-7 - Amarillo Dillas
- Broncos drop series opener against Thunder - Laredo Broncos
- Colts lose third in a row, 6-2 - San Angelo Colts
- Dillas GM to issue special tardy excuse notes for Wednesday - Amarillo Dillas
- Colts assured of playoff spot, two others are all but assured - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edinburg Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners drop heart-breaker
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
- Roadrunners snap 3-game skid
- Roadrunners drop series opener
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts