Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
EDINBURG, TEXAS ---- The Edinburg Roadrunners ended their regular season with a 6-2 victory over the Amarillo Dillas Monday night at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. The win gives the Roadrunners the second seed in the playoffs.
Eric Montoya (6-4) allowed two runs, one earned, while scattering seven hits in five and a third innings of work for his sixth win of the season.
Amarillo (44-35) took an early lead against Montoya in the first with an RBI single by Trent Lockwood that drove in Carlos Figueroa from second making the score 1-0.
Osiel Flores started the bottom of the third inning with a double to right field and then came in on a throwing error tying things at one. Vincent Blue, who reached on the error, then moved to second on Hector Garanzuay's single to left. A walk to Hunter Owen loaded the bases for Carlos Hereaud who also drew a walk to drive in Blue from third. Robert Matlock followed with a two-run single to right center field that drove Garanzuay and Owen from second and third. Bryon Smith capped the scoring with a two-run double that allowed Hereaud and Matlock to score giving the Roadrunners (46-34) the 6-2 lead.
Aaron Guerra, Adrian Garza, and Bryan Heaston combined for three and two-third innings of shutout baseball with Heaston working a perfect ninth giving Edinburg the 6-2 victory.
With the second seed in the United League Baseball Playoffs, the Roadrunners and Dillas will play the first two games of the first round at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. Game one is Tuesday night with the first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 31, 2009
- Playoff schedule announced: Colts set for Robstown - San Angelo Colts
- Colts Eliminate WhiteWings - San Angelo Colts
- Thunder Rolls Into Playoffs - Coastal Bend Thunder
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Broncos end 2009 season with a walkoff - Laredo Broncos
- WhiteWings end season in heart-breaking fashion - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- WhiteWings to Stay on Road for First Round of Playoffs if Applicable - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Amarillo jumps to #3 on Famous Chicken's all-time list after recent visit - Amarillo Dillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edinburg Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners drop heart-breaker
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
- Roadrunners snap 3-game skid
- Roadrunners drop series opener
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts