Aces cruise to victory
Alexandria, La. - July 31, 2008 - Coming into Thursday's game, the Alexandria Aces had gone 123 at bats with the bases loaded without hitting a grand slam. Luis Guance changed all of that with a grand slam in the second inning as the Aces went on to beat the Amarillo Dillas 8-1 at Bringhurst Field. Jose Umbria led off the inning by getting hit by a pitch. Three batters later, Eddie Fitzpatrick singled to right moving up Umbira to second. Bryan Sabatella walked to load the bases for Guance. The Aces second baseman to a 1-0 pitch over the wall in left for the Aces first grand slam of the year and put the Aces ahead 4-0. The home run was Guance's 11th of the year. The Aces also benefited from a great outing by starter Alejandro Martinez. The right-hander only allowed one run on two hits in six innings of work. Martinez got his fifth win of the year striking out five. The Aces added three runs in the fifth inning. After Selwyn Langagine singled and Rafael Ozuna walked, Andre Marshall tried to bunt the runners to second and third. The ball was placed down the first-base line where Dillas first baseman A.J. Johnson tried to force out Langaigne at third. The throw was wild and allowed both Langaigne and Ozuna to score, moving Marshall to third. A Madison Edwards single brought home Marshall to make the score 7-0. The Aces and Dillas will conclude their series Friday as Angel Guzman will take the mound for the Aces against the Dillas' Taylor Allen. Game time is 7:05.
Next home game: Friday, August 1st vs. Amarillo. StarTek Night w/ Jersey Cinch Sack Back Packs/Kids Run the Bases.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 31, 2008
- Three-run homers lead Coyotes to doubleheader sweep over Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes complete double header sweep - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts bats go quiet in Game 1 loss - San Angelo Colts
- Aces cruise to victory - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos Nip WhiteWings in Middle Game of Series - Laredo Broncos
- Broncos Edge WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Jones, Mondesir Lift Coyotes Past Colts - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Coyotes Lend a Helping Hand - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th