Coyotes complete double header sweep
SAN ANGELO, Texas- The Edinburg Coyotes swept the double header from the San Angelo Colts with a 10-4 victory in game two Thursday night at Foster Field. The Coyotes swept their second double header in three days. Eric Montoya (8-2) picked up his eighth win of the season after a slow start. He allowed four runs on five hits and struck out six Colts. But the offense made up for Montoya's early struggles. The Coyotes (33-37) started the game with their first three hitters getting on base. Angelo Fermin hit a single then he was followed by Alex Entrekin with a double down the third base line. Daryl Jones then hit a two run double that scored Fermin and Entrekin which gave the Coyotes a 2-0 lead. Eric Gonzalez then hit an RBI single that scored Jones from third for a 3-0 advantage.
But the Colts (42-27) answered right back in the bottom of the first inning as Jose Torres, Andres Rodriguez, and Aaron Cone hit back-to-back-to-back home runs to tie the game at three. The Coyotes' offense was not done though as they regained the lead in the top of the second inning. Eddie Wilson started the inning with a double to the right field gap then Patrick Gaylord hit a single to center field which put runners at the corners. With one out, Entrekin then cleared the bases with a three run home run, his fourth home run of the season, which made the score 6-3.
In the top of the fourth inning, the Coyotes extended their lead with some power. Entrekin started the inning with a single and then Jones followed with a walk. Argelis Nunez then hit a three-run home run to deep right center field which extended the lead to 9-4. The Coyotes added a run in the top of the fifth inning and extended the lead to 10-4 when Jones hit an RBI single to center field that scored Fermin from second base. Luke Prihoda pitched a scoreless seventh inning to close out the win for Montoya and the Coyotes.
The Coyotes and Colts will wrap up their series Friday night at Foster Field. Carlos Jan (1-2) will match up against Alex Merricks (2-0) in the finale. The Coyotes will travel back to Amarillo to start their final series against the Dillas.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 31, 2008
- Three-run homers lead Coyotes to doubleheader sweep over Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes complete double header sweep - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts bats go quiet in Game 1 loss - San Angelo Colts
- Aces cruise to victory - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos Nip WhiteWings in Middle Game of Series - Laredo Broncos
- Broncos Edge WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Jones, Mondesir Lift Coyotes Past Colts - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Coyotes Lend a Helping Hand - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edinburg Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners drop heart-breaker
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
- Roadrunners snap 3-game skid
- Roadrunners drop series opener
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts