Coyotes Lend a Helping Hand
Edinburg, Texas - As part of the August 5th game, the Edinburg Coyotes will team up with the Texas Organ Sharing Alliance (TOSA) to increase community awareness about the dire need for organ, tissue and eye donation.
TOSA representatives, donor families and transplant volunteers will be on hand to give donor brochures, answer questions and register individuals who would like to be a donor on the NEW Glenda Dawson Donate Life - Texas Registry.
As a part of their show of support to organ, tissue and eye donation, Coyote players will be wearing green wristbands and green ribbons on their caps - green is the color symbolizing the "Gift of Life".
"This is a very worthy cause to help support," Coyotes' Director of Community Relations Annalisa Limas said. "It's important for people to be involved because there is a desperate need of organ, tissue and eye donors and we want to help as best as we can in spreading awareness within our community."
The Texas Organ Sharing Alliance is one of 58 federally designated Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs) in the United States. Founded in 1975 as a not-for-profit corporation, TOSA covers 56 counties in Central and South Texas. TOSA is committed to providing organ donation and recovery services to families wishing to donate, and to those waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
The facts clearly illustrate the urgent need for more organ donors:
- More than 99,000 people are on the organ transplant waiting list nationwide.
- Every day, 18 people die for want of an organ transplant.
- An average of 106 people are added to the nation's organ transplant waiting list each day - one person every 13 minutes.
- More than 2,200 of those who are on the organ transplant waiting list are children under the age of 18.
- Today in Texas, over 8,000 people are waiting for a transplant, and over 6,000 of them have been waiting for more than a year.
For more information on organ, tissue and eye donation, please call the Texas Organ Sharing Alliance at 1.866.685.0277 or visit the TOSA website at www.txorgansharing.org.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 31, 2008
- Three-run homers lead Coyotes to doubleheader sweep over Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes complete double header sweep - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts bats go quiet in Game 1 loss - San Angelo Colts
- Aces cruise to victory - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos Nip WhiteWings in Middle Game of Series - Laredo Broncos
- Broncos Edge WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Jones, Mondesir Lift Coyotes Past Colts - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Coyotes Lend a Helping Hand - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edinburg Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners drop heart-breaker
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
- Roadrunners snap 3-game skid
- Roadrunners drop series opener
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts