Jantel Lavender to Undergo Surgery on Left Foot
CHICAGO - The Chicago Sky announced today that center Jantel Lavender will undergo surgery to repair a fracture in her left foot, an injury suffered in the third quarter of Chicago's game at Las Vegas on Aug. 9.
The procedure will be performed by Dr. Kelly Hynes at the University of Chicago Medicine in Chicago on Wednesday, Aug. 14. Expected recovery time is eight to nine weeks.
"Jantel's leadership and spirit will stay with us as she gets through this injury and as we get through it as a team," said Sky General Manager and Head Coach James Wade. "The responsibility Jantel takes and her on-the-floor leadership - it's a big blow to us. We are sad, but it gives her teammates the opportunity to step up in her absence. We will get through it."
Lavender, a nine-year veteran, All-Star, and WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year, has started in 22 of 23 games with the Sky this season, averaging 10 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 13, 2019
- Career Night for Rebecca Allen Not Enough to Defeat Lynx, Liberty Come up Short, 89-73 - New York Liberty
- Minnesota/New York Postgame Notes - Minnesota Lynx
- Jantel Lavender to Undergo Surgery on Left Foot - Chicago Sky
- Brittney Griner Purchases Block of 300 Tickets for Phoenix Mercury Game Tomorrow Night against Connecticut - Phoenix Mercury
- Aces Sign Jaime Nared to Second Seven-Day Contract - Las Vegas Aces
- Lynx Sign Forward Jillian Alleyne - Minnesota Lynx
- WNBA Announces Player Suspensions for Involvement in Altercation During August 10 Dallas Wings at Phoenix Mercury Game - WNBA
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Sky Stories
- Sky Defeat Sparks for First Time Since 2017
- Jantel Lavender to Undergo Surgery on Left Foot
- Postgame Notes & Quotes: Chicago's 42 Fourth-Quarter Points Set Season-High, Push Sky Past Liberty 101-92
- Postgame Notes & Quotes: Deshield's Career-High in Rebounds, Season-High in Assists and Dolson's 16 Points Push Sky Past Atlanta 87-75
- Chicago Comes up Short to Connecticut, 100-94