Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 17 vs. Montgomery
The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp host the Montgomery Biscuits at 7:05 p.m. on Friday from the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. On a Red Shirt Friday, fans are encouraged to wear red to support the military and save $1 per ticket at the box office, or donate that $1 to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. Friday Night Lites spiced up by Tijuana Flats presented by Miller Lite and Coors Light means from 6-7:30 p.m., fans are welcome to enjoy specials for $1 12 oz. Miller Lite and Coors Light drafts, as well as $1 off all craft beer at the Craft Cave near the third-base gate. On Hug A Plumber Day presented by Darley's Plumbing, the Jumbo Shrimp are inviting fans to say thanks to plumbers by giving them a hug on the stadium concourse. Fans can enjoy a NAPA AutoCare Family Fireworks Show after the game.
GUZMAN STRIKES OUT 10 BUT SHRIMP LOSE 1-0
Jacksonville starter Jorge Guzman matched a career-high with 10 strikeouts on Thursday, but the Jumbo Shrimp were shut out by the Montgomery Biscuits 1-0 from the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. The game was scoreless into the ninth inning. Dalton Kelly walked with one out before moving to second on a Jesus Sanchez single. A pair of wild pitches scored Kelly for the game's only run. Montgomery starter Brendan McKay pitched six scoreless innings and Benton Moss earned the win with two shutout frames. Curtis Taylor earned the save with a perfect ninth. Riley Ferrell and Jeff Kinley each turned in a scoreless inning for Jacksonville out of the bullpen.
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
Jacksonville pitchers struck out 13 Biscuits against four walks on Thursday, continuing a strong pitching trend of late. Entering play on May 1, Jumbo Shrimp pitchers had combined to issue 102 walks in 218.0 innings (4.2 BB/9), the second-most in the Southern League. However, in the 16 games since that point, Jacksonville has surrendered only 39 free passes in 134.1 frames (2.6 BB/9), the fewest total in the circuit during this span. Over these last 16 contests, the Jumbo Shrimp have ceded three walks or fewer in 12 different games.
SONG OF THE SUMMER
Jacksonville's bullpen has already put together two separate streaks of 20 consecutive scoreless innings this season (20 from April 4-8, 21 from April 11-17), and it appears the club has round another hot streak from its relievers. Over their last 38.0 innings of work, Jumbo Shrimp relief pitchers have surrendered just nine runs, seven earned, on 27 hits (6.4 H/9) for a 1.66 ERA. During this span, they have combined for 49 strikeouts (11.6 K/9) against 15 walks (3.6 BB/9).
Jumbo Shrimp catchers have been a bright spot defensively all season for the club. Santiago Chavez's 13 men caught stealing ties for the Double-A lead. Additionally, as a team, the Jumbo Shrimp have gunned down 25 potential base stealers, second in the Double-A level and tied for fifth out of 120 teams in MiLB. Jacksonville's 44.6 percent caught stealing rate ranks third in Double-A.
WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE
Jacksonville suffered a 1-0 defeat on Thursday, the 12th time the club has been shut out this season. Those 12 blankings are double that of Mobile's six, the next-closest Southern League team to the Jumbo Shrimp, and equal to the total of the five Northern Division clubs combined. In addition to Jacksonville's 12 shutouts, which is just shy of the halfway point to the league record of 25 set by Asheville in 1970, the Jumbo Shrimp have plated only one run in a contest on seven other occasions. Entering play on Friday, Jacksonville has been blanked in consecutive contests and the Jumbo Shrimp have not tallied a run in regulation in 29 straight innings. In recorded club history (through 2005), Jacksonville has never been zeroed in three straight games.
MOWING FULL CIRCLE
In the first 20 games of the season, Jacksonville starting pitchers compiled a 3-13 record and 5.44 ERA over 91.0 innings. Jumbo Shrimp lid-lifters combined for 49 walks (4.8 BB/9), 89 strikeouts (8.8 K/9) and 91 hits allowed (9.0 H/9). However, the Jumbo Shrimp have seen some stellar starting pitching over the last 21 games. During this stretch, Jacksonville starters have combined for a 2.43 ERA (33 ER in 122.1 IP). Jumbo Shrimp starters have walked 35 (2.6 BB/9), fanned 103 (7.6 K/9) and yielded 92 hits (6.8 H/9).
DIFFERENT ROADS LEAD TO THE SAME CASTLE
Jacksonville's 1-0 loss to Montgomery on Thursday is a continuation of a recent trend for the Jumbo Shrimp. Seventeen of Jacksonville's last 20 games have been decided by three runs or fewer. Unfortunately for the Jumbo Shrimp, they have gone just 6-11 in these tight contests during this stretch. On the season, the Jumbo Shrimp have played 27 affairs decided by no more than three runs. The club is 6-8 in one-run games and 3-1 in contests determined by three runs. However, Jacksonville is stunningly 0-9 in games decided by exactly two runs.
For seven of the last eight games, Jacksonville has scored an even four runs or fewer. The Shrimp have tallied just 15 runs combined during this stretch... RHP Cody Poteet has stepped up for a 2.00 ERA since April 25. He has thrown the rock for 10 strikeouts and just two walks during that stretch.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Sloppy D Haunts Wahoos in Friday Evening Loss - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Mercedes, Gonzalez Guide Barons Past Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Belisario Hurls Six Scoreless as Shuckers Run Away with 7-1 Winner - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Take Second Straight from M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Shell Lookouts in Game Two - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Miller, Smokies Shut Down Generals, 6-2 - Jackson Generals
- Machin, Myers, Miller Lead Smokies to Friday Night Win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Win Second Straight with Pair of Three-Run Frames - Mobile BayBears
- Poteet Fires Six Scoreless Innings, But Bullpen Struggles in 9-0 Loss - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Rap Shrimp, 9-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: May 17 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 17 vs. Montgomery - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jumbo Shrimp Trail in First Month of Seafood Buffet Rivalry Series - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Michalczewski's Walk-Off Homer Seals Barons Comeback Win - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Walk-Off M-Braves on Ninth Inning Homer - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Fall 5-4 in Extras to Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp's October 31 Fall Festival Features Trick-Or-Treating, Contests
- Former Jacksonville Infielder Soto Makes MLB Debut
- Great Prizes, Food Pre-Order Deals Highlight September 26 Bingo Night
- Jacksonville Alumnus Garrett Spins Gem in MLB Debut
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Chisholm Becomes Seventh Bahamian Player in MLB History