Miller, Smokies Shut Down Generals, 6-2
Jackson, Tenn. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, suffered their second straight defeat at the hands of the Tennessee Smokies on Friday, falling 6-2 at The Ballpark at Jackson. The Generals (22-18) have scored only six runs in their past three games, while the Smokies (21-20) have put up nine in their last two contests.
Making his Double-A debut for the Generals, left-hander Bryan Valdez (0-1, 5.79 ERA) got through the first two frames without damage, but the Smokies put up runs in the third, fourth, and fifth innings to take a 4-2 lead. All of the runs that Valdez allowed came with two outs, and though he induced 11 flyouts, he could not complete the fifth inning. Sam Lewis got the last out in the fifth, and Kevin McCanna worked the next three frames, allowing an RBI triple to Vimael Machin in the seventh. Junior Garcia gave up a run in the eighth on an RBI double by Machin, putting the game effectively out of reach for a mostly absent Jackson offense.
At the plate, the Generals were held hostage by Tennessee's Tyson Miller (3-1, 1.17 ERA), who threw seven and two-thirds innings with just six hits, no walks, and eight punchouts. Andy Young and Ramon Hernandez clubbed solo homers two batters apart in the fourth inning, but the West Tennessee side was otherwise quiet, with the Generals failing in all four of their opportunities with men in scoring position. Young and Ben DeLuzio were the only Generals with multi-hit games on Friday.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:05 pm CT Saturday (5/18) vs. Tennessee Smokies
The Ballpark at Jackson - Jackson, Tenn.
RHP Riley Smith (2-3, 2.40) vs. LHP Justin Steele (0-3, 9.20 ERA)
BROADCAST: Jackson Generals Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT
Generals vs. Tennessee Smokies
(AA, Chicago Cubs)
Wizard Night (Saturday, May 18)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
Images from this story
Jackson Generals infielder Andy Young
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Sloppy D Haunts Wahoos in Friday Evening Loss - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Mercedes, Gonzalez Guide Barons Past Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Belisario Hurls Six Scoreless as Shuckers Run Away with 7-1 Winner - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Take Second Straight from M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Shell Lookouts in Game Two - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Miller, Smokies Shut Down Generals, 6-2 - Jackson Generals
- Machin, Myers, Miller Lead Smokies to Friday Night Win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Win Second Straight with Pair of Three-Run Frames - Mobile BayBears
- Poteet Fires Six Scoreless Innings, But Bullpen Struggles in 9-0 Loss - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Rap Shrimp, 9-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: May 17 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 17 vs. Montgomery - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jumbo Shrimp Trail in First Month of Seafood Buffet Rivalry Series - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Michalczewski's Walk-Off Homer Seals Barons Comeback Win - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Walk-Off M-Braves on Ninth Inning Homer - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Fall 5-4 in Extras to Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Generals Are Hiring for the 2020 Season
- Saturday Night Promotions Released for Generals 2020 Season
- Jackson Generals Announce Coaching Staff for 2020 Season
- Generals Ink Concert Event Agreement with Grand Slam Presents
- NEWS: Flex Packs Now Available for Generals 2020 Season