Biscuits Rap Shrimp, 9-0
JACKSONVILLE, Flo. - David Rodriguez's towering RBI-single broke a scoreless tie in the seventh, and propelled the Biscuits (27-14) to their second-straight shutout victory over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (14-28), 9-0, on Friday night at the Baseball Grounds. The Biscuits, who tallied a season-high 13 hits, are now 12-1 over their last 13 games in Jacksonville.
With Josh Fleming going on the injured list with a bad hamstring, it was a bullpen day for the Biscuits who sent Matt Krook to the mound. Krook pitched two scoreless innings, striking out three walking one and hitting a man before handing things over to the newest Biscuit, Brian Shaffer (1-0).
Shaffer was outstanding, going four scoreless innings, surrendering just three hits, no walks, and three strikeouts. Jacksonville starter Cody Poteet was terrific in a no-decision, hurling six shutout innings while scattering four hits, two walks, and three strikeouts.
The game remained scoreless until the seventh inning, which meant that 14 of the series' first 15 innings didn't contain a run. That changed when David Rodriguez crushed a Parker Bugg pitch into straightaway center that appeared to be caught by Corey Bird, but dropped at the center fielder's feet after sailing over his head for an RBI-single that scored Jesus Sanchez. Rodriguez's single was the first RBI of the series.
The Biscuits would rip off four-consecutive two out hits against McKenzie Mills in the eighth, including an RBI-single by Tristan Gray and a two-run double by Robbie Tenerowicz to put the game out of reach. The Biscuits then put up a five-spot in the ninth, capped off by a mammoth three-run homer by Sanchez. Dalton Moats also fired in two scoreless innings of relief, and Ivan Pelaez one, to seal the deal.
The Biscuits now have five shutout wins over their last nine games and will send Riley O'Brien (1-1) to the hill on Saturday night to take on Robert Dugger (3-5) with a chance to win the series at 5:35 PM CT.
The Biscuits will return to Riverwalk Stadium to open up a five-game series against the Jackson Generals on Wednesday, May 22. The series will also feature Southern Rock Night featuring a T-Shirt Giveaway presented by Alfa Insurance on Thursday, May 23; Ladies Night presented by At Home and MAX Fireworks on Friday, May 24; Greenbow Night featuring a Bobblehead Giveaway presented by Capital Trailways and MAX Fireworks on Saturday, May 25; and Lil' Crumbs Dress Like a Player Snellzilla Pillow Giveaway on Sunday, May 26.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Sloppy D Haunts Wahoos in Friday Evening Loss - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Mercedes, Gonzalez Guide Barons Past Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Belisario Hurls Six Scoreless as Shuckers Run Away with 7-1 Winner - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Take Second Straight from M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Shell Lookouts in Game Two - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Miller, Smokies Shut Down Generals, 6-2 - Jackson Generals
- Machin, Myers, Miller Lead Smokies to Friday Night Win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Win Second Straight with Pair of Three-Run Frames - Mobile BayBears
- Poteet Fires Six Scoreless Innings, But Bullpen Struggles in 9-0 Loss - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Rap Shrimp, 9-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: May 17 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 17 vs. Montgomery - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jumbo Shrimp Trail in First Month of Seafood Buffet Rivalry Series - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Michalczewski's Walk-Off Homer Seals Barons Comeback Win - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Walk-Off M-Braves on Ninth Inning Homer - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Fall 5-4 in Extras to Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.