Generals Gameday: May 17 vs. Tennessee
Jackson Generals (22-17)
vs. Tennessee Smokies (20-20)
Friday, May 17 | 6:05 pm CT | The Ballpark at Jackson
Game 40 | Home Game 15 | First Half Game 40
Generals SP: LHP Bryan Valdez (Double-A Debut)
Opponent SP: RHP Tyson Miller (2-1, 0.94 ERA)
LAST GAME: The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, dropped a 3-2 decision to the Tennessee Smokies at The Ballpark at Jackson on Thursday. The loss snaps a five-game win streak for the Generals (22-17), with the Smokies (20-20) taking a 6-5 lead in the season series. Full Recap: JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com
TODAY'S PITCHING MATCHUP: Generals left-hander Bryan Valdez will make his Double-A debut after finding early-season success at both Kane County and Visalia. Valdez has pitched to a 1.59 ERA in five games this year, the second-lowest mark among all Diamondbacks minor leaguers who have thrown at least 20 innings. He's the first southpaw to start for the Generals this season, and he steps into the ring against one of the best pitchers in the Southern League in Tennessee's Tyson Miller. Miller is one of two pitchers in the Southern League with an ERA below 1.00 and at least 30 innings of work. Opponents have batted .150 against Miller this year.
RAZOR RAMON: It took a little while for him to get going, but Ramon Hernandez seems to be sharpening his edge at Double-A. After batting .200 in April, Hernandez is warming up in May, batting .286 through May 16. Hernandez homered and hit a sacrifice fly to drive in both of Jackson's runs on May 16 against Tennessee, and he's recorded hits in eight of his last ten games. His ability to play both corner infield and corner outfield spots has helped his playing time: he's made 1 error in 26 games.
KIDS CLUB 2019 LINK
ALL THE KIDS ARE DOING IT: The Junior Generals Kids Club has been completely revamped for 2019, with close to 100 participants already signed up! New achievement levels are in place, with rewards given to the most loyal fans. Get the most out of your child's time at The Ballpark - sign them up today!
|GENERALS TICKETS SUMMARY|
General Admission (GA): $6 in advance, $8 on game day
Reserved Seating: $10 in advance, $12 on game day
Group Picnics: $7/person (plus food) for 15+ people; $6/person for 100+
Suites/Party Decks: Please call the front office for pricing & availability.
Belly Buster Monday Nights:
$16 bottomless popcorn, hot dogs, burgers, ice cream, soda & nachos
$1 Dollar Thursday Nights:
$1 tickets, hot dogs, popcorn, and soda; $1 beer for age 21+
Generals partner with a local non-profit for in-game promotion; call us for details!
The 2019 baseball season is here! Get your tickets today: dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Sloppy D Haunts Wahoos in Friday Evening Loss - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Mercedes, Gonzalez Guide Barons Past Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Belisario Hurls Six Scoreless as Shuckers Run Away with 7-1 Winner - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Take Second Straight from M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Shell Lookouts in Game Two - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Miller, Smokies Shut Down Generals, 6-2 - Jackson Generals
- Machin, Myers, Miller Lead Smokies to Friday Night Win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Win Second Straight with Pair of Three-Run Frames - Mobile BayBears
- Poteet Fires Six Scoreless Innings, But Bullpen Struggles in 9-0 Loss - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Rap Shrimp, 9-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: May 17 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 17 vs. Montgomery - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jumbo Shrimp Trail in First Month of Seafood Buffet Rivalry Series - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Michalczewski's Walk-Off Homer Seals Barons Comeback Win - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Walk-Off M-Braves on Ninth Inning Homer - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Fall 5-4 in Extras to Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.