Jacks Prevail in Overtime, 4-3, Over Arizona
ODESSA, TX - Despite playing shorthanded during sudden-death overtime, including a segment two men down, Mike Ramsay's goal from the right circle propelled the Odessa Jackalopes to a 4-3 win over the Arizona Sundogs on Friday night at the Ector County Coliseum.
Arizona's power plays in overtime stemmed from a major penalty assessed to Odessa with 19 seconds remaining in regulation, and were part of an 11-to-6 power play count for the game favoring the Sundogs.
Ramsay's blast gave the Jackalopes a three point lead over Arizona for seventh place in the CHL's Berry Conference, with the two teams scheduled to meet again Saturday night.
Arizona rallied back from a 3-1 deficit in period two as Mark Kolanos scored midway through the frame, before Luke Erickson tied it with 3:33 remaining. Erickson finished with two goals in the contest for Arizona and raised his total to eight tallies in six games against Odessa this season.
Todd Robinson scored a power play goal for Odessa from the bottom of the right circle 8:15 into the second period to make it a 3-1 game.
Mike Lesperance on the power play and Mark Ehl also scored for the Jacks in period one, which is where Erickson's first tally also occurred.
David McKee stopped 19 shots in the win for the Jackalopes. Levente Szuper took the loss with a 33-save performance.
The win snapped Odessa's four-game winless skid.
The two teams will square off again Saturday night at 7:05 PM. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2011
- Americans Corral Brahmas 3-2 To Widen Lead In Berry Conference - Allen Americans
- Bucks Sting Bees in Shootout, 4-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Prevail in Overtime, 4-3, Over Arizona - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mavs Fall In OT, Lose 3-2 To Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bees Fall In Shootout To Laredo Bucks - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Sundogs Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Oilers Claim Shootout in Southaven - Mississippi RiverKings
- Gems snap three-game skid with 6-5 win over Evansville - Dayton Gems
- Patrosso, Komets Down Mallards 4-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards' McLean Called up to Milwaukee - Quad City Mallards
- Sundogs to Host Faith and Family Night March 19 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks' Owner Hart Discusses Future - Laredo Bucks
- Campbell Called up to Oklahoma City - Allen Americans
- Jakaitis returning to Gems for tonight's game - Dayton Gems
- Dayton Gems: Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Shots from the Point for February 25, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.