Jacks Miracle Comeback Falls Short in 7-6 Loss
ODESSA, TX - Trailing by five goals early in the third period, the Odessa Jackalopes nearly pulled off an improbable comeback on Saturday night, but ultimately fell to the Tulsa Oilers by a 7-6 final at the Ector County Coliseum. Despite the loss, Sebastien Thinel and Mike Ramsay both extended their point streaks to 10 games.
The Jackalopes nearly tied the game in the closing seconds with the extra attacker on the ice. Odessa also had to battle through a lopsided, 7-to-3 power play count favoring Tulsa in the loss.
Ian Keserich was the difference for Tulsa with a 40-save performance to preserve the Oilers win.
Braden Walls scored 3:56 into the third period to give Tulsa a 7-2 lead. From that point on Mike Lesperance, Darryl Bootland, Sebastien Thinel, and Kevin Seibel all scored for Odessa to set up the game's frantic finish.
The Oilers appeared to be in control after scoring three straight goals in period two to turn a one-goal hockey game into a 6-2 advantage. Jack Combs and Sean Erickson each scored their second goals of the game in that middle frame. Anthony Battaglia added the third.
In the first period Combs and Erickson teamed up with Michel Beausoleil to score for Tulsa. Kenny Corupe and Alex Dunn scored for the Jacks.
Mike Mole made his second straight start for the Jackalopes, but was pulled midway through period two after the Oilers scored their fifth goal. David McKee worked the rest of the game, making 17 saves.
The Jackalopes wrap up their three-game weekend with a Sunday matchup at Allen. Game time is set for 2:00 PM CST.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 5, 2011
- Rush Come Away With 2-1 Win Over Thunder - Rapid City Rush
- Arizona Stops RiverKings in Series Finale - Mississippi RiverKings
- Killer Special Teams Lead Bees to First Shutout at BEC - Colorado Eagles
- Pagliero Stonewalls Eagles For 2-0 Win - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rush Stuns Thunder in Third - Wichita Thunder
- Jacks Miracle Comeback Falls Short in 7-6 Loss - Odessa Jackalopes
- Slow Start Dooms Bugs in Loss - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Brahmas Clinch Playoff Position In 5-4 Shootout Win - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Lose Heartbreaker in Shootout - Laredo Bucks
- Americans Defeat Bugs 4-2, Take 8-Of-10 In Season Series - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Stay Hot on Road in 5-1 Win over Quad City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Pull Away from Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Rush Add Scoring Punch/NHL Experience with Signing of Jesse Schultz - Rapid City Rush
- Gems' goaltender Jeff Jakaitis moving up to AHL - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Look to Bounce Back Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Three Goal Outburst Leads Thunder to 3-2 Win Over Rush - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings, Pechurskiy Down Arizona, 4-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Pechurskiy, RiverKings Stop Sundogs in Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- Eagles Win Nail-Biter Over Bees in 500th Game - Colorado Eagles