Jacks Fall Short in Laredo, 4-2
ODESSA, TX - Laredo goaltender, Torrie Jung, made 32 saves in just his second professional start as the Bucks topped the Odessa Jackalopes by a 4-2 final on Tuesday night at Laredo Energy Arena. Jeff Bes scored a goal and an assist in the contest to pull himself within one point of 1,000 in his pro career.
Sebastien Thinel and Todd Robinson each earned two points for Odessa in the loss.
Bes' third period goal at 15:46 on a two-on-one rush with Daniel Koger is what capped the game for Laredo as the score gave the Bucks a 4-1 lead with just over four minutes to play. Dominic Leveille tried to rally the Jackalopes with a goal just 30 seconds later, but a two-goal deficit is as close as it would get.
Aaron Boogaard opened the game's scoring with a wrist shot from the top of the left circle to finish an odd-man rush for Laredo. Koger picked up an assist on Boogaard's goal midway through the frame, and the Laredo tally was the lone goal of the opening period.
Neil Trimm then made it a 2-0 lead for Laredo just 26 seconds into the second frame when his wrist shot from the slot deflected off an Odessa defenseman and past Joel Martin for a power play goal. Nine minutes later, Thinel took a centering feed from Robinson and deposited a backhand shot into the net for Odessa's first goal of the contest and a 2-1 score favoring the Bucks.
Laredo's Ryan Lehr put the Bucks back up by two with just over five minutes remaining in the period after swatting a Serge Dube pass, from the left-wing corner, out of the air and into the net. The second period closed with a 3-1, Laredo lead.
The Jackalopes have now lost four of their last five games to fall to 2-5-0 on the season. Laredo improved to 3-2-1 in the win.
Joel Martin stopped 24 shots and took the loss for Odessa.
The Jackalopes continue their road trip this weekend with a pair of games against the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees. Friday's puck drop will be at 7:30 PM CST and the action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2010
- Jacks Fall Short in Laredo, 4-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Vote out 'Jacks on Election Night - Laredo Bucks
- Oilers Aid Make-A-Wish - Tulsa Oilers
- Gems Offer New Promotions to Fans - Dayton Gems
- Killer Bee Goalie Juliano Pagliero Named Oakley CHL Goalie of the Week - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rio Grande Valley's Juliano Pagliero Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Hotty Toddy Hockey Action in Southaven Friday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Suffers Loss of Former Defenseman - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs to Celebrate Re-Grand Opening of Walmart in Prescott Tomorrow - Arizona Sundogs
- Gems Revise TV Schedule - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.