IronPigs snag series win against PawSox
(Pawtucket, RI) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (66-73) are playing well to end the 2019 season on a high note. They defeated the Pawtucket Red Sox (58-81) 5-3 on Sunday afternoon in the penultimate game of the season.
Pawtucket jumped out a 2-0 lead against Dan Straily (5-4) in the bottom of the first inning. Rusney Castillo hit an RBI single to score Cole Sturgeon and Bobby Dalbec drove in a run on a groundout. The Red Sox extended their lead to 3-0 in the bottom of the third inning when Castillo hit an RBI double to score C.J. Chatham.
The IronPigs finally got on the scoreboard in the top of the fourth inning when they scored two runs to make it a one run game, 3-2. Austin Listi and Rob Brantly each hit RBI singles off Daniel McGrath. The game got tied at 3-3 against McGrath in the top of the fifth inning when Ali Castillo hit a sacrifice fly to score Raul Rivas.
Lehigh Valley broke the 3-3 tie in the top of the ninth inning against Colten Brewer (2-3) as they scored two runs to take a 5-3 lead. Matt McBride hit a go-ahead double to score Brantly and Malquin Canelo hit an RBI single to score McBride.
Straily earned the win by allowed just three runs (two earned) in eight innings while striking out seven batters. Connor Brogdon earned his second save at the AAA level by pitching a scoreless bottom of the ninth inning.
The IronPigs and PawSox complete their 2019 seasons on Monday afternoon at McCoy Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Out-"Hustled" by Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Hays Spearheads Tides Offense in 11-2 Victory - Norfolk Tides
- Louisville's Bats Too Much for Indians in 8-2 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Mashers Crush Indians, 8-2 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Shutout at Home to Division Rival - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Spot with Win Monday Afternoon - Durham Bulls
- Slegers Leads Bulls to Crucial Victory - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stifled by Slegers, Durham in 3-1 Loss - Gwinnett Stripers
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre outlasts Buffalo in a game that features 27 runs, 27 hits and 41 baserunners - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Fall 15-12 in Slugfest to RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Straily Stymies PawSox on Sunday Afternoon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs snag series win against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Notes: September 1 & 2 - Louisville Bats
- Encarnacion and Severino Join SWB on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6