Slegers Leads Bulls to Crucial Victory
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls beat the Gwinnett Stripers 3-1 at the DBAP Sunday evening, keep their playoff hopes alive in the Wild Card race. Aaron Slegers (6-7) recorded the victory for the Bulls, while Touki Toussaint (1-6) suffered the loss for the Stripers.
Slegers was dominant, tossing seven innings, allowing just five hits and one earned run while striking out eight to earn his second straight victory. The righty then turned the ball over to Jose De Leon, who earned his first save of the season with two scoreless frames.
Emilio Bonifacio got the scoring started for the Bulls in the second inning with an RBI double to take an early 1-0 lead. Gwinnett was able to respond and tie the game in the top of the fourth inning with an RBI single by Alex Jackson, but the Bulls got the lead right back in the bottom of the fourth with a solo home run by Dylan Cozens to make it 2-1.
Guillermo Heredia provided some insurance for Slegers with an RBI single in the bottom of the fifth inning to make it 3-1. Slegers and De Leon made that score stand, extending Durham's season until the final game of the 2019 campaign.
The Bulls and Stripers meet Monday afternoon at 1:05 to conclude the regular season. Left-hander Anthony Banda is scheduled to take the mound for the Bulls and face off against Stripers right-hander Huascar Ynoa.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Out-"Hustled" by Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Hays Spearheads Tides Offense in 11-2 Victory - Norfolk Tides
- Louisville's Bats Too Much for Indians in 8-2 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Mashers Crush Indians, 8-2 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Shutout at Home to Division Rival - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Spot with Win Monday Afternoon - Durham Bulls
- Slegers Leads Bulls to Crucial Victory - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stifled by Slegers, Durham in 3-1 Loss - Gwinnett Stripers
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre outlasts Buffalo in a game that features 27 runs, 27 hits and 41 baserunners - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Fall 15-12 in Slugfest to RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Straily Stymies PawSox on Sunday Afternoon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs snag series win against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Notes: September 1 & 2 - Louisville Bats
- Encarnacion and Severino Join SWB on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.